+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh this is my thread lol. As a plus DS is doing really well. He is enjoying it. We've been asked if we want to go to 2 days a week but we aren't going to yet.

The first and second day (I think It was 2, he only goes once a week) we didn't do a sleep. I wanted to start slowly with him. Since then he is having sleeps there. The carers are great. If he's upset and can't be calmed down they'll call me and I can come get him. That's only happened maybe once? He had been sick. I've been called because he's sick but he's enjoying it now. We went through a phase of hating it and not wanting to go but he's gotten over it. I'd just make a big deal of how fun it will be.
    We only let DS have his dummy. Rather than taking anything. He has his dummy at nap time or if he's really upset. Talking with the carers it's safer not to take it. In case it goes missing or if another child does want it and it upsets your dd.
    I'm sure she will love it 😀

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

My DD 3yo is starting child care tomorrow. We had our second child 3 weeks ago and DH is starting back at work tomorrow as well and I'm just wracked with anxiety today.

We did an orientation with DD last Friday, dropped her off for an hour and when I went back to get her she was bawling her eyes out. Now she says she doesn't want to go. I'm trying so hard to be positive but she can probably sense my anxiety.

Does anyone have any advice to get me through? We're going to drop her off at 8:30 then DH will go to work. They have lunch around 11:30 then quiet time/ naps until 2. DD doesn't have any naps at home and she's such a fussy eater. I thought I'd leave her for lunch and see if she eats anything but pick her up before nap time around 12:30 because I'm sure she won't nap anyway. That way if she doesn't eat lunch there she can eat when she gets home.

Hoping to slowly extend her so she's eventually going 8:30 to about 3pm but I'm not sure whether to just leave her for that long on the first day or slowly work up to it.

Also do you send any special toys from home? I thought I'd let her take one toy but then what if other kids want it or she loses it and gets upset. What does everyone else do?
    It is hard when they start. With mine, I always did an orientation where I went in with them and stayed for an hour or two. Boring, but it makes them feel more comfortable and you can get a feel for the carers and other kids too. Would that be an option for tomorrow? I took Bub in with me when it was my DD's. I found my DD when she changed childcare at 3, was the hardest to settle in. They can totally tell you what they do and don't want to do at that age! So don't be surprised if it takes her a while to settle in. She probably won't eat much there for a while (even if she wasn't a fussy eater) but I've found with my kids that they eat stuff at Childcare that they would never even try at home. And my DD sleeps at Childcare, but never sleeps at home.
    I would slowly work up the amount of time she has there, I think it can feel like a really long time for them to start with.
    Good Luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default DS starting childcare...

@Mama Mirabelle we have just been through this with my 3yo dd1. I did a thread on it recently- 3yo not settling into daycare? I think it's called. Quite a good few tips which helped.

It's been 7 weeks now. She cried for the first 5 weeks. But now for the past 2 weeks she is much better.

I built up hours slowly. I did 3 orientations where we just stayed and played for an hour. Then started 930-1. Then 9-130. Then 830-2. That is our current hours roughly depending on when dd2 (6 months now!) naps. The staff advised to keep picking her up before the 3pm rush as newer kids can get distressed when others are getting picked up but their mummy isn't there.

Staying and playing with her definitely helps with settling in. I try to spend 15 minutes with her.

Bribery. Flat out. She gets a kinder surprise when she gets home.

She is incredibly fussy and still refuses to eat ANYTHING there, even if it's something she will eat at home. She's ok, just eats when she gets home. She plays quietly whilst the other kids eat lunch.

It is a huge adjustment for them, especially with a bubs here now. Give it time. Plenty of reassurance and praise. Now she appreciates a change of scenery, something to do that's different. And I LOVE that time alone with dd2.

It is completely heartbreaking when they cry. I know how you feel. But they do settle, and she will learn that you always come back. Hope that helps xxx

Eta: she brings her blankie. And gets to pick whatever clothes she wants no matter how impractical. And I paint her nails so she can "show them off".

Good luck xx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 25-04-2016 at 19:42.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (25-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post

Eta: she brings her blankie. And gets to pick whatever clothes she wants no matter how impractical. And I paint her nails so she can "show them off".
    xx
    Oh yes, all this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you go today @Mama Mirabelle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    We went ok today. DD was very brave and when we got there I just stayed 5 minutes and then she took her teachers hand and went off with her. I picked her up after 3 hours and she was watching the door waiting for me.

I feel a little annoyed as I've asked the centre a number of times since last week for some information like if they can tell me what the weekly menu is so I know what she's eating, and they keep saying they'll email me but haven't yet. Also I'm not sure exactly what she did today as when I went to get her they said she'd done play dough and blocks but when I asked her she said she hadn't done any of that. I'm just not sure if they're great at communication. They usually take pictures of the kids through the day to shows the parents but the only picture they had of her was at lunch time and they said she had eaten a lot of food but in the picture she looked like she was upset and when I asked she said she didn't eat anything because 'it wasn't nice'. I'm still not exactly sure what 'it' was because when I asked they said 'a rice thing with some other things in it' 🙄

They said she'd done great and was really settled but she said she'd cried a lot and kept saying she wanted to come home. So I'm just not really sure what the story is.

She's going again tomorrow but she's not very excited about it. Hoping it gets easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice is definitely to speak up. I had similar to this where it wasn't adding up and communication wasn't great. I went and spoke with the director and have since found that relationships are far better and I'm being met with much more information. I explained that i needed to know what was going on so that i could talk about the great parts of chid care and their experiences with my children when they weren't there and be involved to reassure them. It worked! I now get a lot of information and it has helped to make that connection between home and child care for my girls. Don't ever be afraid to be the outspoken parent. As long as you are fair and understanding of the limitations of staff in regards to time etc, they should be happy to work with you too create connectedness with the centre for your children. My centre doesn't supply food but if they did i would definitely want to know what they were eating. One other thing that works for me is to get my girls to show me things at the end of their visit and tell me about their day while we are still there. Because it's right there they can point out the activities etc. One of mine pointed out that the books were on top of the fridge and they weren't allowed to read them. ...ha! Red faces from staff and they have certainly been available since!!!