+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default What are your best packing tips?

Our settlement date is in 10 days. We're "renting back" our house for 14 days so we've got time to move. I'm putting off packing because I hate it and I never know where to start and we're using so much stuff!

So hit me with your best packing tips while I procrastinate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pack stuff you don't use much first. Books etc.

Label everything.

At the last minute put all your clothes on their hangers in car. Then put away straight away at new place.

Bring your linen in car and make each bed ASAP at new place. Trust me you'll thank yourself for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (12-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Best packing tip (and I'm THE most unorganised person in the world) is to start on it early!
    Honestly, you won't know how much stuff you've got until you try box it.
    And if you leave it last minute you will just stuff things in boxes in panic (been there) which means you'll also bring the things you don't want too.

And if you can, try work it around a council pick up day so you can get rid of heaps of stuff.

That and labeling.
    We bought different coloured stickers for boxes that belonged in the house, then marked them for each room they belonged to, and then boxes that were for garage storage like winter clothes or what not and labelled what was in them too.
    It's not a perfect system but it does help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah and cull, cull , cull. When I moved I had a system, pack, throw or donate. You wouldn't believe how much stuff we didn't need and it's just annoying to take it all over to the new place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    If it's half an hour or more away- rent a truck.

Pack a box with essentials- enough plates and cups for each of you plus cutlery, toilet paper, kitchen paper towel, phone chargers, etc and take it with you in the car.

Persuade others to help if you can and then offer them a BBQ or pizza in return. Many hands make light work!

Pack one room at a time. Start with spare rooms if you have any. Pack it all and then shut the door.

Big plastic storage tubs and the big red white and blue striped zipped plastic bags make the best packing boxes. Bonus is you can use them for other stuff later.

Take the opportunity to recycle, donate or trash. If you haven't used it in the last 12 months then you don't need it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post: