+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you have your own business?

What do you do? Would you say you are successful?

We are contemplating starting a catering business. I realise this is a highly competitve industry and I think in order for us to be successful we need to take some time to plan and create our business.

The majority would be done from our home kitchens and the focus would be on office/business catering - daytime functions and possibly kids parties.

So far the list of things to look into:
    Business plan / name / registration
    Marketing / advertising / logo
    Website / social media
    Menu / pricing / time
    Licences / insurances / tax
    Set up cost - equipment & advertising

Any opinons or advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend looked into doing this. You need to cook the food in an industrial kitchen to get a food license. Her ideas didn't eventuate much past that.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder if its different each state as from what I have researched with my local council I can apply for a licence to cook/serve/sell food from home .. meaning it can be cooked in my home kitchen. Might have to double check that though, maybe it depends on the quantity or something, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    It'll be different depending on your local council. It's a pain trying to figure out what each council requires. You will probably need your kitchen inspected by the correct local officer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Get a great accountant who deals with your type of business , make sure you know all about your local competitors, what they charge, serve, make etc and marketing is key - you need a marketing plan done yearly and just get out there and promote yourselves!

We started our business 10 years ago ( real estate) just DH and I in a small office ( I had 15 years in the industry , DH 7 ) we now have a bigger office and employ 8 other full time staff and survived the GFC and real estate slumps while other offices in our area have closed down so yes Id say we are successful!

Make sure you have funds aside to start you off and get financial advice - the first 2 years for us were hard , we worked everyday and we thankfully had money put away as it takes a while to build up a client base and get income coming in but you still need to keep the business running

Good luck !!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-06-2015),blissfulfairy  (11-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with @Elijahsmum investigate your competition - you need to work out how your offering will be different to what is currently available in the market. Do a SWOT and competitor analysis - most business plans have these. Get a good book keeper, accountant, check BAS, GST requirements. Speak to the bank about expansion and how you will handle that. Check our the legislation around cooking in your own kitchen - I think you can get a license for this but they need to come and check out your kitchen. Look at the marketing that other businesses do - check out their social media etc...

It's hard work and you often don't know what you don't know but its rewarding when you start making head way. Also expect not to make a profit early on.

Good luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-06-2015),blissfulfairy  (11-06-2015)