+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about your career change?

I have worked in childcare all sincr i was a teenager. I worked hard and became a director quickly and loved it. I took time off to spend with my own child, then fell pregnant with my second child and he was born with health issues so i have been a stay at home mum for 3.5yrs.
    I was so wanting to go back to work and thought i had had enough of being at home. I was also getting really worried that the longer i was out of the workforce the harder it would be to return. So DH quit his job so i could go back to work.
    Directors jobs are slim and i have started doing some casual relief work whilst i look for a permanant role and i have realised the i hate it. I really do not want to be in childcare anymore. I do not want to leave my children to look after others peoples children. All the passion i once had for the job is gone. The pay in childcare is not great but as a qualified it is more than a minimum wage admin job, which won't pay the bills. I am so lost with what to do now.
    I'd love to hear from anyone who has made a career change and how they did it. How do you make it work finacially and how do you get employers to give you a go when you have only ever worked in one industry? I am so low right now and regret so much telling DH that i wanted to go back to work. I regret that i didn't study whilst i was home for 3 years but just always thought i would return to childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I;ve just had my career change ummmm 36yo.. I called it my early mid life crisis career change... Ive been in hospitality, then childcare, then did my own family day car and now..... A Dental assistant.. NOOOO way did I want to be 50 and still working in childcare. I found it really hard to think of what next..I don't have much self confidence or one of those smart people... for me this career change had take me through to my 50's. I was thinking a community care worker or dental assistant. I was thinking what do we need in the future.. I just looked through the jobs sections to see what out there, lots of, and what employers were wanting, pay rates, hours, quals needed, social skills etc. community care worker came to mind ???we are living longer, gov wants us to live in our own home, flexible hours, always jobs in the paper, not needing A huge study degree, taking grannie shopping, tidying their house, chatting about the old days.. etc... But I decided on dental assistant as I though that has a few more branches into the medical field.. Honestly I did up my resume and walked around and handed it out to dentists. Until one day someone said yes, I then wanted to study to show commitment, make connections, have a better understanding etc. This happened last year, ( but only studying now) I would do family day care mon-thur then friday I would do work experience at the dentist. They then gave me hours so I was doing Tues/thur evening and fridays. This was onto of my family day care. Hard long days, but it's all been worth it. I now work 4 days at a new dentist and study externally.. Not sure if this was any help..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3Rreg For This Useful Post:

jez  (11-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    I'm late to the thread... but I'm with you all the way. I did child care for 6 or so years and when I had my kids I didn't really go back. I've been working in retail as the hours at good with my kids, but its very lack luster and I want to do more.
    I'm currently studying my Cert IV in training and assessment and would LOVE although highly unlikely as it's so hard to get into- but a TAFE teacher of the child care course. This could be an option?
    I actually completed my cert 4 in training and assessment just prior to becoming pregnant with my son. I have applied for a few jobs as a trainer but the competition here in melbourne is tough and they all want someone who already has trainer experience .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gosh there seems to be a theme here - lots of women wanting a career change out of childcare after kids. I could have wrote that orginal post myself although I went into early years teaching instead of the directors role. I have been a sahm now for 4 years. I went back into child care part time last year and absolutely hated it. My whole attitude towards the job had changed and dont think its right to stay in the job when you're hearts not in it. Have been wondering where to go from here but the only thing that stands out to me is nursing and really dont know how I feel about going back to uni to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's soo hard trying to think of "what next" after kids, Ive never had any big dreams to start with, then once the family is done.. What next ????
    And yes, all jobs want that experience yet no one is willing to train you to get the experience

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also used to work in childcare and a part time nanny before having my own kids . I am not working right now but I wouldn't go back to childcare. Baby nannying when I'm older and my kids have all left home.
    I am looking at a career change too. I'm not in a hurry to go back to work but I do need to study so I'm looking into writing or proof reading from home of an Auslan course as I've always been fascinated with sign language and Deaf culture..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Late last year I needed to start seriously thinking about what now. I had been job hopping all my life and never found the thing I loved to do or what I thought was a viable career option and long term I needed to be working for us to make ends meet.

I spent a few weeks really thinking about me and what I like to do and how they relate to careers. Then turned that into looking for short courses, career options and tangible job options that were linked to my passions and the things that made me happy.

Long story short I put myself through a short course 1 night/week to test the waters and make sure I was on the right path and that only made me
    more certain. After that I basically begged anyone who would listen to give me a shot, emailed them, called them, did free work and work experience, resent my resume and portfolio over and over etc. I had the life experience and commitment to make anything work I just needed a foot in the door.
    It took a while and I was wondering a lot if I should just take admin work in the meantime.. But it all paid off when I managed to secure a full paid apprenticeship in my chosen field and I really love my job now. It's really satisfying to do what you love. So don't stop till you find it!! : )