+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the problem is (for the non-arrogant/non jerk people)as has been outlined in this thread, is simply that people are unsure what they're supposed to do, some people are told to pay then move, others are told to move then pay, no wonder people get it wrong.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-06-2015),~Marigold~  (10-06-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz475 View Post
    I used to work for BP too and this is exactly what I was just about to write. It actually used to help if people could move their car out the way for the next person otherwise we would have people coming in hurling abuse at us because the person in front was taking too long. Plus, I don't think I ever had the time while serving customers to watch each pump individually to make sure everyone paid for their petrol as soon as they finished. It generally took me 15-30 minutes to realise that there had been a drive off and then we would review security footage.
    Exactly.
    The servo I worked at also had a cafe inside, can't tell you how many people would fill up, move their cars and come inside to order lunch etc- can't imagine the backlog of cars lining up if they had to actually pay before we could activate for the next customer!
    I guess not all work that way though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    I think the problem is (for the non-arrogant/non jerk people)as has been outlined in this thread, is simply that people are unsure what they're supposed to do, some people are told to pay then move, others are told to move then pay, no wonder people get it wrong.
    I agree, I wouldn't know either if I hadn't actually worked at a petrol station. Maybe they should specify with signage.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 10-06-2015 at 13:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought you have to stay put until you pay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally there is no one waiting when I get petrol, but when there is I usually just go in and pay without moving my car. Unless it's really really busy (maybe once or twice ever) then I haven't really considered finding a park first. It doesn't bother me at all to have to wait a few mins while someone pays for petrol - I didn't realise it would bother people so much! That being said, I wouldn't stay and wait for a coffee - in that instance I would move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Generally there is no one waiting when I get petrol, but when there is I usually just go in and pay without moving my car. Unless it's really really busy (maybe once or twice ever) then I haven't really considered finding a park first. It doesn't bother me at all to have to wait a few mins while someone pays for petrol - I didn't realise it would bother people so much! That being said, I wouldn't stay and wait for a coffee - in that instance I would move.
    Yeah, there's a difference between zipping in to pay for petrol as opposed to knowingly leaving cars queued up while you shop inside for 5+ minutes. That's when it bothers people I think.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-06-2015),sajimum  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that the various service stations probably have different preferences and expectations and that's why people have been told different things by staff. I know in my area there's been a big increase in people driving off without paying, and that may make the staff jumpier about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Yeah, there's a difference between zipping in to pay for petrol as opposed to knowingly leaving cars queued up while you shop inside for 5+ minutes. That's when it bothers people I think.
    Fair enough - I was beginning to feel like a horrible person for going in to pay for petrol and grabbing a cold drink without moving my car!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Fair enough - I was beginning to feel like a horrible person for going in to pay for petrol and grabbing a cold drink without moving my car!
    That's not inconsiderate My first response in this thread was in regards to the OP and people knowingly taking ages inside with zero regard for others waiting. Grabbing a drink takes 5 seconds.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have always moved into the parking bit when there is a line up, but now after reading this thread it seems like it was the wrong thing to do.