+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Petrol station etiquette

Lets say you are putting fuel into your car at the pump. There is no one using the pump in front of you, but other cars cannot access it so they just have to wait behind your car.

You finish putting your fuel into the car and you want to buy a couple of things other than fuel while you go in to pay, including a coffee. There are two vehicles behind you waiting to use the pumps.

Do you move your car forward to a nearby parking spot to free up the pumps for the other cars? Or do you go inside the service station and do what you need to do and not worry about the other cars waiting?

Do you think being in the shop for 5 minutes is inconsiderate to the waiting cars?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    If there were cars waiting for me and parking was easy and accessible (most servos where I live don't understand that part!) then I would park.

If it was just me or there were other pumps free I would go in and leave my car at the pump.

I do think its rude to go in and wait for a coffee to be made for you though. It's like the servos with subway or maccas- I hate it when inconsiderates go in and order a whole meal and wait for it to be ready while their car sits at the pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The polite thing would be to move your car and I used to do that until was requested not to by the petrol station. They said it makes them think the driver has left and is not going to pay for their fuel. So now I leave my car. If I was going to order food though that may take a while I would pay for the fuel and then move my car and go back to order the food.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (10-06-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (10-06-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (10-06-2015),LaDiDah  (10-06-2015),wobbleyhorse  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it was just one car and they hadn't been waiting the whole time I was filling up then I wouldn't move my car.

If it was a particularly busy day with a line up and there was an easily accessible park then I would move - if no accessible park, then no I wouldn't.

If there is 2 in a row though, I always pull up at the front one though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't move it if I was just going to pay for the fuel. I would if I was waiting for a coffee or food to be made.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Don't move your car. We did once and were abused by the staff member when we went in to pay- they think you're going to do a runner, so fair enough.

They shouldn't be able to use the pump until you've paid anyway.

They can wait. Everyone knows you usually have to wait your turn to fill up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't move. I feel bad enough reaching inside my car to get my bag out. I would feel like I'm going to get the cops called on me if I moved haha. I refuse to use the pay machine at the pump incase other customers don't see me pay and chase me down or something hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a stickler for rules so I wouldn't move the car. I'd run in and pay for the fuel, move the car and then go back and get whatever else I wanted to buy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Petrol station etiquette

I would go in and pay, order my coffee & then go and move my car. The other car can't use the pump until you've paid anyway.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChelleBH For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (10-06-2015),MissMuppet  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would want to move, to be polite.
    But the staff really really do not want people doing that.
    And the person behind shouldn't use the pump until you have paid anyway.
    Say you go up to the counter and say "$20 on pump 2". The guy behind you has finished filling up his car, and moves to allow others in too. To the staff, there is now $40 on the pump... How are they to know you aren't trying to scam them? And what if the guy behind drove off instead of just 'being polite'?