+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing kids surname

My kids and I (and dp) want to change my kids' surname to my dp's (their step dad's).
    They don't see their bio dad and he wants nothing to do with them (and in return we want nothing to do with him or his family).
    He's on the birth certificate so do I need to get his ok? If so how do I go about doing this when we don't see/speak to him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing... I will have this same issue. Hoping it is a smooth transition for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to superbuns For This Useful Post:

DrDrakeRamoray  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure where you are located, but if you are in NSW it looks like you need his permission, unless you want to go for a court order. This is from here: http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/publi...ionship-ends-a

Can I change my kids’ surname?

To formally change a child’s name, you must apply to the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages for registration of a name change. Children aged 12 years and over must consent to their change of name.
    The consent of both parents is required or if this is not possible, a court order. Either parent can apply to the Court for an order seeking permission to change the name (if the other parent won’t agree) or stop (restrain) a parent from using a different name for a child.
    The Court will make its decision based on what is best for the kids.
    A child cannot change their name on their birth certificate themselves until they are 18 years old in NSW.

Hope you can get it sorted out smoothly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that's

I'm in victoria I will speak to a lawyer.