+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Go Kidney Go .... I mean .... lets get behind organ donation

Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    No I haven't. There is debate over whether or not my organs can be donated - studies have shown recipients of immune comprised organs ended up getting the same immune issue. DH knows to tell them and let them assess the studies at the time - if they want them they can have them. I will look up what you referred to though.
    It might seem a bit morbid but if it's something you feel passionate about its important.
    I've worked with families who say 'x' wanted to donate her body to science but because nothing had been registered prior to her death she wasn't able to be accepted by a program.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Unfortunately I can't be an organ donor or blood donor given my auto immune disease but DH has told me he wants his donated. I would donate mine to science though.
    I too thought this (I have leukaemia and assumed I could not donate anything) - but you can still donate tissue and eye donations. Skin, corneas and other stuff can still be donated even with a lot of other illnesses.

If you have HIV you cannot donate, but pretty much everything else you should still register and possibly will be able to donate various tissue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    @ICanDream.....have you researched body donation programs?

If you haven't just an FYI many require you to register prior to your death, they won't accept a family donation. There are some that accept donations without prior registration but you might have to look s bit harder (depending on your state)
    No I haven't. There is debate over whether or not my organs can be donated - studies have shown recipients of immune comprised organs ended up getting the same immune issue. DH knows to tell them and let them assess the studies at the time - if they want them they can have them. I will look up what you referred to though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I too thought this (I have leukaemia and assumed I could not donate anything) - but you can still donate tissue and eye donations. Skin, corneas and other stuff can still be donated even with a lot of other illnesses.

If you have HIV you cannot donate, but pretty much everything else you should still register and possibly will be able to donate various tissue
    I don't think I can - my disease affects skin (causes painful lesions), eyes, bones, tissue everything. I have sarcoidosis and it can get into everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Thank you for starting this thread @KatiesMum and for your continued support over the years 😘

I don't want to make this an "all about misskitty" post but yes after several years of illness and 16 months on dialysis I did receive a kidney transplant one week ago today from a deceased donor.

This gift has changed my life and my families lives. It's almost impossible to put into words what this donation means for us. It means living, it means my family can live together again, we can make plans and think of the future. We can breathe again.
    It truly is a new start for us and we will be eternally grateful to our donor family for being so generous in a time of personal tragedy.

I believe that organ and tissue donation is a very personal decision but if you do wish to be a donor, please talk to your family about your wishes.
    @BettyV, I'm thinking of you and your brother - it's a really rough road at times so if you ever want an ear or a shoulder, I'm always here xx
    Best wishes for a smooth and uncomplicated recovery from the surgery. No doubt there are some complex emotions involved after receiving an organ donation from a deceased donor. I've been reading bubhub long enough to sense that you are a kind and generous person, a good mum and a good friend. If I lost someone I love, I would like to think that a little of their "spirit", their mojo, could live on by helping out another good hearted person and continue to bring some joy and hope to the world. Wishing you and your family all the best, and respect to the family and friends of the donor for doing a good thing at a hard time in their lives.

And yes, I'm a registered donor. And I've talked to my family and told them my wishes.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have always had it noted on my license but I hadn't ever registered through the register. I have now registered. Doing it online is so easy. I have always been very open with my family, and anybody else who will listen, about my thoughts on organ donation.