+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst I have had this conversation many times with my husband, father and sisters (just to make sure everyone knows) as I am passionate about the fact I want ALL of my viable body parts donated. I had not yet registered. I have now done so. So thank you for the reminder and the push. I hope that one day my body is able to help someone live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im a registered donor and everyone close to me is well aware that if I die I want them to Donate and cremate. I'm not going to use anything rotting away in the ground, I would much rather my death helps someone else's life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been registered my whole adult life and my family know and support my wishes. It actually infuriates me that my husband could technically override my very deliberate decision and intention to donate. I hope the legislation changes around that one day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I'm registered as is DP and we've discussed how important it is to us with our families! @misskittyfantastico hope it is all onwards and upwards from here, what an amazing gift 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not registered and won't bother. It never comes up in conversations with potential donor families.

My families know my wishes and I know theirs and I know they will respect mine.

If you think your family won't respect your wishes (I've worked with families who feel unable to proceed with donation despite knowing their loved one wished to be a donor) then you could complete an advanced health directive.

Talk to your family, know their wishes and make sure they know yours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No idea! It's like ticking organ donor on your license, it means nothing. Only your next of kin can consent to organ donation.

On reflection, maybe it's awareness raising, a jumping off point for families to have the conversation?

It has no legal standing at all.

I'd personally rather see an opt out register that does have legal standing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I can't be an organ donor or blood donor given my auto immune disease but DH has told me he wants his donated. I would donate mine to science though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ICanDream.....have you researched body donation programs?

If you haven't just an FYI many require you to register prior to your death, they won't accept a family donation. There are some that accept donations without prior registration but you might have to look s bit harder (depending on your state)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    @ICanDream.....have you researched body donation programs?

If you haven't just an FYI many require you to register prior to your death, they won't accept a family donation. There are some that accept donations without prior registration but you might have to look s bit harder (depending on your state)
    No I haven't. There is debate over whether or not my organs can be donated - studies have shown recipients of immune comprised organs ended up getting the same immune issue. DH knows to tell them and let them assess the studies at the time - if they want them they can have them. I will look up what you referred to though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post

I thought that the organ donation register was linked to your medicare card..... Obviously organ donation is a discussion that is had with every family regardless, but I would have thought the doctor/nurse would have been able to say "so and so is a registered organ doner" as part of that discussion.

No, definitely not.

And the hospital can't 'see' any details registered or not on your Medicare card, the number gets attached to your hospital registration for billing/funding purposes but there's no central database type thing where any addresses or information that might be part of the card info can be seen in the hospital.