+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For those wishing to register- there is also a section on the Medicare claim form where you can do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Hubby and I are both registered as organ donors, and we both know that this is what each other wants should something ever happen to one of us.

I think it's such an important thing to discuss with your loved ones so they know your wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I've been registered my entire adult life. I don't need any of it once I'm gone.

I would be so excited to know 10 people's lives were saved when I die. I think that's awesome!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my license renewal recently and told my husband that while I wasn't previously an organ donor I planned to change that - only to discover it's registered elsewhere anyway. I never had anything against it, just that my parents weren't so I wasn't.

Amazingly the very next morning I logged on here and saw misskittyfantastico's news which really reinforced that this is the right decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    The most important thing is to discuss it with your family and let them know of your wishes. It doesn't matter if you're registered, the family/partner can still override and say no.

I am registered as is the rest of my family. I won't be needing any of it after I'm dead.
    This!!!

My last job involved working closely with patients who were potential donors and their families. As the patients were unconscious even if they were registered or not it was still the families decision.

Often families would override a patients wishes which is so sad for the potential donor and the many recipients.

So while being registered is great it's much more important to make sure your family knows what you want and you know their wishes. If you ever end up in the terrible position of being a potential donor your family will be your advocate and they can only do that if you've told them what you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    This!!!

My last job involved working closely with patients who were potential donors and their families. As the patients were unconscious even if they were registered or not it was still the families decision.

Often families would override a patients wishes which is so sad for the potential donor and the many recipients.

Does this work in reverse as well? So if someone is very anti being a donor - can their family over ride their decision and donate everything?

NB I am a donor myself, I was just curious about the process

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm registered & my family know my wishes. To think that I can give another person the gift of life, or a better life, after I've gone gives me comfort.

So happy to hear of your transplant @misskittyfantastico

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    Does this work in reverse as well? So if someone is very anti being a donor - can their family over ride their decision and donate everything?

NB I am a donor myself, I was just curious about the process
    I guess technically it could. We register our interest to donate but not a desire not to donate. While the potential donor may have told family or friends the health workers wouldn't know their desire.

I would think it would be pretty unlikely for a family to knowingly donate against a loved ones wishes.

My experience is that the opposite is much more likely, people choose not to donate against relatives wishes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm registered and have been since I turned 18, before then mum and dad knew my wishes and would have donated for me. DH knows my wishes and will carry them through but I don't think he wants to donate. If he could tell me why I would be happier with his decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am yes, but I didn't really give it a lot of thought until I read a lot and got some understanding of Miss Kitty's life and situation.

I would be very proud when I died if I could help people in this way by using organs I cannot take with me.

The impact those organs have to the people that need them is nothing short of amazing!!!