+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Au Pair Experiences

Hey Mummas.

I have recently found out im pregnant with no3 (for me, no1 for dp).
    It is unexpected, and if it all goes ahead i will want to continue working to the best of my ability! Right now i work full time, mon-friday week 1, tues-sat week 2.

I think an Au Pair would fit in with us well and was hoping to get some idea's of how you all feel about your APs.

I'd love to know how often they work, age of the kids, how much allowence, ect.

Thankyou all in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. I'm keen to hear others experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I havent had one personally but a friend does & has for almost 2yrs now and she also runs an online au pair consulting business helping families find au pairs etc.
    i dont think i can write the name of the page here but if you want you can pm me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I worked as an Au Pair in another country for a while. I was paid well because the family were well off. I would have worked for less because I got free accommodation, food in the table and an opportunity to travel too which was my main driver for that kind of work over there. It all depends on why someone is doing it really. I worked from about 7:30 until 4pm most days because I would get the 3 kids up and the two older ones off to preschool and kindergarten. During the day I was home with the little one. Their mother worked from home so she would generally stop once it was time to get dinner on and I would help her if I didn't have plans.

When the little one was napping I would use that time to find stuff to do around the house. They had a cleaner that came once a week so it was just bits and pieces that I would between because I'd get bored waiting for the little one to wake up. No point in watching TV in a language you barely understand! The girls spoke English but not well which is why their mother wanted someone who spoke English (to help them).

I had my own room and bathroom all located on my own floor of the house so we were never in each other's way or space. We sometimes ate to together otherwise I just sorted myself out. Some nights I would help cook, other nights I would cook for the whole family but as I said before, most nights I helped their mother prepare dinner regardless. I would even put the girls to sleep some nights if their parents were entertaining, out and about or busy in their offices working away. All in all I became part of the family - that's the way the girls saw it - so I treated their home with respect and I did my best to make all of them comfortable with me actually living there. It all depends on how you would feel sharing your home with someone that you don't really know. I didn't meet them until I arrived in their country so I guess it was a gamble on both ends. We did talk via email and phone several times before hand though. Hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

littleblue169  (10-06-2015)