+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyg2016 View Post
    OMG there's so much to think about, where do you find all maternity info on the hospitals?

God, that sounds like such a dumb question haha

Would my doctor be the best person to ask about Obs & hospitals?
    It's great you're researching now, my oby books out at the 5 week mark ( literally need to call and book as soon as you get a positive) as long as you have GP referral before your first appointment.
    What I did is look at local private hospitals that I would consider ( close enough, good reputation) etc, no point in me picking a hospital say on the Gold Coast when I live in Brisbane ( logistically wouldn't work for me)
    I then looked at the oby that deliver at that practice and researched them ( they all have about me pages and google will help too). And narrowed it down. Some GP won't have a clue some will, so I would suggest doing your own homework too.

All private with maternity facilities have websites, and additional information can be sort from tours and contacting them.

As for public you'll almost be guaranteed to be sent to your zoned local hospital ( some exemptions) so look just google maternity public zoning for your area.
    That in itself might sway your choice if you're not in a good public area

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I think the best thing to do is to check out your local public hospital and see what services they offer and then compare to the private hospital you want and see who practices there, to work out what you prefer.

I'm zoned for one of the biggest pubic hospitals in our state which is very well set up for maternity. I had continuity of care through the midwifery group practice (same midwife for every antenatal visit and birth), had a big spa bath to use during labour, DH stayed over night in the double bed we had in our room, and I didn't share. So it is possible to have a similar experience in the public system, but you will need to see what is offered in your area.

HTH
    That's awesome!
    I went private with all three of mine but actually had my third public because I was too high risk and he was too premature to be born in the private hospital and I had my own room and stayed for 7 days (DH couldn't stay but I wanted him with the other kids anyway) and the care was fantastic.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Okay. I'm not from Perth, so hopefully someone can give you more info on what's available.

But definitely have a think about what type of birth you are after. Continuity of care with the same midwife reduces intervention and increases mother satisfaction. You can also look into having a doula, which research confirms reduces intervention.

Of course, not all goes to plan. But having a known midwife who can work with you to collaborate and advocate for you with other health care professionals is always good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy Bee For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to be a natural as possible & would like to avoid a c section.

I have seen loads of my friends go private & they are having a c section before you know it, this seems pretty common with private now

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you pick the right oby you can also opt for low intervention, don't stress that private automatically means invasion as it's not always the case.

Definitely think about what's important to you can what the facilities ( public and private) offer in your area.

What's important to me can only be offered privately in my area, and I'm jealous of the women who can have a similar experience in a public setting.
    I do not trust my zoned public,

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to try for a as natural as possible birth.

I have seen loads of my friends go private & it seems you get rushed off for a c section at the drop of a hat, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Public v private

Doue post
    Last edited by maternidade; 09-06-2015 at 15:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to try for a as natural as possible birth.

I have seen loads of my friends go private & it seems you get rushed off for a c section at the drop of a hat, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babyg2016: do u know where u zoned to? I asked the same question a while back. I am in Perth. Initially, I am very keen to go public due to financial reason after IVF. We have an OB/gyno who I regularly see. I am with him since day 1 of pregnancy and we initially agreed on 20w care before I moved onto public care. I am SOR and since I am not zoned to the two preferred public hospitals, I reconsidered staying with him. My friend paid a fortune to go priv but my Ob is a no gap dr for delivery and only management fee. We think it is still manageable so decided to stay with him. He is NOR and the hospital he affiliated with is far!

I heard good thing about rockingham maternity hospital. No personal experience though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for the multiple post, what happened?!?

I am in Baldivis, so pretty sure we are either Madurah or Rockingham zoning