+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Public v private

I'm not sure if this is the correct section, but what are the Pro's & cons of public v private for the cost?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Public is free. The 12 week NT scan will be the only out of pocket expense if you choose to have it done.

Private will cost you out of pocket expenses on top of the private insurance you already pay. The amount will depend on the obstetrician you see and the hospital you birth at. There may also be out of pocket expenses for ultrasounds, blood tests, anaesthetist fees if you choose an epidural or need a caesarian etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Private you will be out of pocket quite a bit depending on your OBs management fee, your length of hospital stay, if you need extra scans/tests or if the baby needs a SCN stay.

What do you get?
    Your choice of obstetrician and continuity of care provider.
    A private room (usually).
    Your partner can board with you.
    You can stay for a longer period which can be very helpful when establishing breastfeeding.
    Food is better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the best thing to do is to check out your local public hospital and see what services they offer and then compare to the private hospital you want and see who practices there, to work out what you prefer.

I'm zoned for one of the biggest pubic hospitals in our state which is very well set up for maternity. I had continuity of care through the midwifery group practice (same midwife for every antenatal visit and birth), had a big spa bath to use during labour, DH stayed over night in the double bed we had in our room, and I didn't share. So it is possible to have a similar experience in the public system, but you will need to see what is offered in your area.

HTH

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Public is free. The 12 week NT scan will be the only out of pocket expense if you choose to have it done.

Private will cost you out of pocket expenses on top of the private insurance you already pay. The amount will depend on the obstetrician you see and the hospital you birth at. There may also be out of pocket expenses for ultrasounds, blood tests, anaesthetist fees if you choose an epidural or need a caesarian etc.
    If you do shared care then public isn't free you have your GP costs per visit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm going private, we pay ph insurance regardless so we don't count that in the " fees".

All I can say is research, my oby is low cost but amazing ( seriously), and as I'm a repeat customer get a 1/2 price discount. He either bulk bills or out of pocket 41c. He's no gap so won't charge extra when it comes time.
    Extra costs pead, anaesthetist and excess. But I've got a sweet deal that I only pay excess once per year as a family so we go in and get other things checked too as we've already paid ( to maximise excess lol) so I'll have my col0noscopy later in the year ( strong family history and polyp found in past- have to have one every 2years )

The scans I've had I would have had to pay regardless if I went public or private.

All up well be about 2k out of pocket, that is the only "con" .

Pros for private ( and con for public) include :

-Oby on call for me 24/7 - I've had to email and call random times. I can get a response almost immediately- if I went public I don't have that immediate reassurance

-I'm seen at an appointment time that suits me and he's on time, if there's an emergency or will run late I'll know in advance to reschedule. Public you get told your appointment time is here, too bad if it doesn't suit you. They often run very late too.

- I had a bleed, from time I called stressing over phone to time checked and given ok was less than 2 hours in and out. Longest part was actually getting to hospital. No waiting in public emergency. I've known others to wait hours.

- my own room and BATHROOM, there are some public in Brisbane that have your own room but shared bathrooms. I rather share a room than a bathroom ( and hate idea of sharing any)

- minimum 4 nights if I want in a " hotel " like room, and my husband can stay. Plenty of time to recover and bond, with meals and snacks provided. Some are pushed out in a matter of hours.

- I have a choice in how I birth,

- my oby practice includes physio and midwife appointments after birth

- one on one continued care with oby before birth and at my hospital midwife was always on call to help after ( and would spend time with you, to help establish feeding or just comfort you)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG there's so much to think about, where do you find all maternity info on the hospitals?

God, that sounds like such a dumb question haha

Would my doctor be the best person to ask about Obs & hospitals?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on your view on birth and postnatal care. Every private and public hospital is different.

I would be looking at midwife led care if you are after low intervention. Some public hospitals have midwife group practices, birth centres, homebirth programs etc.

Depending what state you are in, there are private midwives that can provide continuity of care in hospital or at home.

And then with postnatal care, each hospital and program is different. Some only have 1 or 2 home visits, some will see you as many times as required up to 6 weeks.

Generally public hospitals do have a better postnatal program, but again it all depends where you are.

If you are after a caesarean, then private is good to be able to choose your obstetrician for the surgery. But, so private hospitals have the exact doctors in the public hospital (eg Mater Mothers in Brisbane).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyg2016 View Post
    OMG there's so much to think about, where do you find all maternity info on the hospitals?

God, that sounds like such a dumb question haha

Would my doctor be the best person to ask about Obs & hospitals?
    To be honest your GP isn't really the best person to talk to. A lot of research is needed, calling up to find out costs and services provided.

Where are you from sorry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Perth & south of the river.

I have read a bit about Peel Campus & even the Rockingham Maternity clinic sounds good for the post natal care, but they deliver at Rockingham general & you can choose either public or private there