+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I've never tried the baby bjorn so don't know much about user comfort etc but do make sure you do some research about the optimal position of baby's hips whilst being carried. This was a big deciding factor for me as I was concerned about the risk of hip problems with carriers like the bjorn. Saying that I always wonder why they still sell them and are so popular if the risks are as bad as you often read about as I'm sure 99% of babies carried in them have no issues or else why would people keep buying them?!

http://hipdysplasia.org/developmenta...her-equipment/

Can't find many scientific articles but if you search hip dysplasia and baby carriers there are quite a lot of articles online.
    I was given a baby bjorn, so used it for a while with DS but he was never in it for long as it was soooooo uncomfortable for my shoulders & back. It was terrible! Then I read about the hip displaysia stuff so stopped using it altogether.

I bought an ergo and found it so much more comfortable for both of us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a Hugabub on my first baby. Gave it away.
    Too much fuss and heat for a summer time infant.

We then got a Babybjorn and an Ergo after researching.
    I still love these two carriers and I'm on my third baby.

The Ergo is beyond comfy, so much support there.
    There's a 12 inch height diffeenrce between myself and DH and we can both wear it within in minutes of each other without much adjustment. Just a little tightening of the arm straps.
    The Babybjorn isn't as comfy but once your little one wants to be involved in everything you do, it's great to use around the house with baby facing out.
    They say it's not great for baby's legs to be dangling like that (so luckily it gets uncomfortable fast) but it allows me to get the dishes done, or put dinner on, without baby screaming for me formt he next room.

I did buy a Manduca on this baby, just because I thought it would be better for my short frame.
    Nope. I hate it.
    It's so rigid even after washing it three or four times, which brings me to a tip for you - don't to buy new carriers.
    Second hand ones are worn in a bit and not so stiff and bulky.
    So much more comfy.
    I'm looking for a second hand Galaxy Grey Ergo at the minute.
    I could buy new, sometimes the bids on second hand Ergos are so close to the brand new price but I'd prefer it to be softened up beforehand

I'll sell all of my carriers on eBay or gumtree when I'm done too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work for paeds and they all say the stuff about baby bjorns and hip dysplasia is rubbish. I've also seen a report from a paed orthopaedic surgeon where they recommended a baby bjorn for a bub with initially immature hips (which can turn into hip dysplasia if they don't mature).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby carrier

Yes I saw a big sign about hip dysphasia on the baby Bjorn aIsle. It says something about baby Bjorn works closely with the hip dysphasia institute. It sounds a bit like they r defending their product.

Thanks ladies. So many choices. I will give ergobaby a try at the shop next time.
    Last edited by bbhope; 14-06-2015 at 12:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a baby bjorn with my first and she and I both disliked it - I found it dug into my shoulders.

With my second I had a Moby Wrap (like a hugabub) that he lived in for the first six months. I also had a Bubzilla sling but looking back, I don't think it was optimal when it comes to the TICKS guidelines of baby wearing.

I also have an ergo which was great for when number two got bigger and I had a Baby Breeze ring sling which was nice in warmer weather and at the pool.

My third was never very happy being worn but he was 8 weeks prem and in the nicu for two months and just never got used to it. He was also so tiny that he just got a bit lost in the ergo.

The good thing about carriers though is that the resale value is always pretty good so I've never regretted buying different carriers.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Boba 4G is another option that doesn't require a newborn insert.

I love mine, I tried an Ergo, Manduca and a Bjorn and disliked them for different reasons...

I have had friends try my Boba and have gone on to purchase their own...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I love my ergo baby but haven't tried a Tula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    There is a babywearing consultant in Perth. She will come to your house & show you a bunch of different carriers & how to use them safely. It is a service you have to pay for but well worth it IMO. Then you can make an informed decision about which carrier suits your needs the best.
    PM me if you would like her details.
    If you are looking to buy second hand the best option is to join your local babywearing buy sell swap group on Facebook. Lots of carriers listed there.
    There are so many better/more comfortable options than the baby bjorn out there!
    I wouldn't bother with that - baby bunting has all the carriers out for you to try and the staff there are really good. I had three ladies helping me with carriers for free. They were all very knowledgeable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love love love my Beco Gemini