+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 Year Old won't sleep in own bed / Moving house

HELP! My 4 year old son has always been a terrible sleeper. I ignorantly thought he would grow out of it
    I started back at work full time last year and my hubby works nights, so I often gave in and after an hour of hysterical crying and let my son sleep on our floor. This has now formed a habit. Every single night at some point he will end up in with us. Sometimes if I am lucky, I will get him to fall asleep in his own bed (usually with lots of argument) but then he is in with us by 1am at latest.
    I have tried bribery, a reward chart, CIO (which I can't cope with), putting him back in without talking to him, sleeping on his floor, letting him watch a movie, sticking to a routine - just about everything! I am at a loss. To make matters even more complicated, we have just bought a house where the master room is downstairs and he will be upstairs alone....I am freaking out! I am sure it would be pretty daunting being upstairs alone anyway let alone when he doesn't even sleep in his own bed now and we are right next door. We have tried to talk it up and make it sound exciting and he is saying he will sleep upstairs and is excited, but I believe it will be a different story when we actually move in. We can't afford the $600 whatever dollars for a sleep consultant but I need him sleeping in his own bed! He starts school next year and this can't go on, he needs a full nights sleep and so do we! ANY advice or experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh that's rough.

All I can think of is giving him a special toy, (maybe a favourite or take him to pick a new one from the shops) and then tell him the toy needs help to sleep all night long in his bed, he must stay in his bed etc. The toy might be scared etc, whatever you think might work.

Perhaps with a 'special' job to look after his toy all night he might stay in bed?

No other advice, good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

mich1310  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I held a new barbie hostage for weeks telling my DD she could only have it when she slept in her own bed. At first it was toys but I moved onto a special treat the next if she sleeps in her own bed all night, like an icy pole etc.

Maybe keep your eye open for a bunk bed on buy swap sell, I see them cheap there all the time. Although he's too little for top bunk when we were on holidays my DD loved it when I put blankets up all around it so it was a little tent/fort. Hell even I wanted to sleep in there!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

mich1310  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, we've tried that too 'Patty the Dinosaur' is a bedtime only toy and 'Patty' gets scared and needs DS to look after him. We went to Build-a-Bear to pick him out and bring him to life. It lasted for all of 2 nights and Patty now sleeps with all the other toys in the cupboard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh we have talked about a bunk bed if he sleeps in his own bed at the new house and he is super excited, but now he keeps telling me he will be sleeping on the top bunk! eeeek! But that fort idea sounds quite fun, maybe we could try that out to deter him from the top bunk. We did try a TMNT tent on his bed and he loved it, but again, the novelty wore off....

Perhaps Spiderman needs to take a little trip.....lol