+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids toys....

Soo I was in the kids bedroom (master 4 & miss 2 currently sharing) thinking I need to upgrade them to captain beds for more storage.

Then I looked around at all their crap *ahem, toys* and realised we could seriously minimise !

Every few months I sit down with them and they choose some things to donate but they STILL have an overload.

We have started asking for books or money for bdays rather than toys (my family ask what to get them, so this works, and their bdays are only 3 days apart)

This year they got enough to buy zoo memberships, sensory play cafe multi pass and a pair of new shoes each.

But how do I deal with all the stuff we already have?? Any tips to declutter successfully?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have u tried rotating the toys. Pack up half of them and put into storage and swap over when they seem to b getting bored of what's in their room?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Have u tried rotating the toys. Pack up half of them and put into storage and swap over when they seem to b getting bored of what's in their room?
    I agree with this. We're doing a similar thing with our boys, but I still need to cull some more stuff and get some more tubs to make rotating easier.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sabochan For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (09-06-2015),SoThisIsLove  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to do that, but we dont have the space in this house. The storage is terrible!

To be honest all they really play with is the Thomas stuff/trains, miss 2 with duplo and mr 4 with lego. Sometimes they will play with cars/little people bus/toy story figures but everything else is basically ignored even if I specifically pull it out. They love books but I will never put them away as I love them too ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah fair enough. I'd probably get rid of anything they don't play with. Do u have a library near you? Not sure what state u are in but our local library has,a great toy selection u can borrow for when the kids want something different 😊

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's the toy storage like?
    Getting rid of big toy boxes etc was the best thing I ever did; I switched to cube shelves. It looks great, always neat and tidy, you have a cube for each kind of toy, so it means that if you have too much of one thing it physically doesn't fit and they have to make some decisions on what to cull, and I also found they play much better as everything is sorted, not just all over the place.

But I do still have some bigger tubs under beds for things that really don't fit in the cubes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do visit the toy library. Ds loves the sports section. We only have a small paved courtyard,so he loves borrowing sports sets from there we can take to the park with us :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have culled heaps of toys lately, trying to minimise everything in our home. They really don't need a lot. I find the less toys they have, the more they actually play with them instead of just making a huge mess!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    We have cube storage like CMF and love it. DS2 is very good at playing with different things as well as his favourites. DS1 doesn't get as much time to play.

Maybe you could get them to get rid of a few bigger ones and sell them on a buy swap page then they can use the money for an outing or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am the same, our house is absolutely shocking with storage. I donate toys he hasn't played with for a while and we are regularly buying new stuff at st.vinnies or Salvation Army. I have a box under the bed with trains and 4 x cubes on his book shelves. Once things start overflowing I know it's time to pack some stuff up to donate.