+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ectopic pregnancy

Hi has anyone had an ectopic pregnancy? I'm currently having one and I'm being monitored with blood tests but my hcg level has only dropped from 360 to 348 in 2 days. I have another blood test in the morning and I'm really hoping that it's dropped do I don't need surgery or the methotrexate shot.

Has anyone has any experience with ectopics and how long did it take for your hcg level to drop to 0?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hopeful37 I am SO sorry to see this update. Massive hugs to you. I had an ectopic in March and it was a truly horrible experience. I think I'm only just starting to really come to terms with it all now to be honest. In my case, I had the surgery when my hcg was about 7500 and we could locate the pregnancy on a scan - it was in my ovary of all places. Then it was all panic stations and straight into theatre in a big rush. Have they been able to pinpoint where your pregnancy has grown yet?

After my surgery, my hcg fell gradually for about 4 weeks, but then it started climbing again, so I had the methotrexate shot. It then dropped again slowly, but didn't reach zero for about another 4 weeks. So all in all, from surgery to zero it was about 2 months. A VEEEERY long 2 months I have to say, with blood tests every 2-3 days for that whole time. Honestly, the hardest part was how it dragged on and on for so long. I think it is a very good sign that yours is dropping, although it does sound a bit on the slow side. Has your FS given you any indication of when he/she would consider methotrexate?

I'm so sorry you are in this situation. I am thinking of you and hoping it resolves as soon as it can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mrs Chino thanks so much for your reply. It really is a horrible time isn't it? I have had the worst roller coaster this last 2 weeks. I did IVF and got a BFP so of course was I happy, the the bt showed a low hcg and I was told it was a chemical pregnancy and to come back in a week to check everything was down to 0. So while I was trying to come to terms with that news I went in the following week to be told my hcg had risen and it was now in line with a normal pregnancy! Went back 2 days later for bt and nurses rang to say it had doubled everything was looking great and literally 10mins later I was bleeding and doubled over in pain. ( I have never experienced pain like that have you?)
    I went to the hospital and they did scans but couldn't locate it as I was only 5 weeks. Did anything happen to your ovary? Dr said they could do keyhole surgery to locate but as my pain eased the next day he wanted to wait and see and monitor with bloods. I think the next step with either be that or the methotrexate shot. I'm praying that the hcg levels have dropped in tomorrow's test! Maybe I'll get away with doing neither. But I guess u have to be careful your levels don't rise. I bet that must have bee heartbreaking when your levels r finally going down then it goes back up! You must have felt there was no end in sight!
    How are you feeling now? Are you feeling like you want to try again soon? This whole thing has been really scary and I feel like it might take me a bit to get my confidence back to try again
    Thanks again for your reply xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor love. Yes, it is an awful roller coaster that you just wish you could get off. And the pain is really sickening. Thankfully, my FS was able to remove the pregnancy from my ovary and still keep a god amount of ovarian tissue so I'm hoping it will respond okay to the drugs next time - it was even my 'good' ovary that we get most of our eggs from dammit! So fingers crossed. We had to do the mandatory 3 month break after I had the methotrexate, and I am just starting my third and final month on the pill now. So the end is in sight. As crazy as it sounds I can't wait to get going again and feel like I am doing something productive. That said, I'm pretty sure that as soon as I start stimming again I will be super anxious after everything that has happened. Not much I can do to avoid that though I reckon - just ride it out and hope for the best.

Good luck for your BT tomorrow. Fingers crossed for dropping numbers and no surgery/metho needed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MrsChino
    How is your week going? I've had some good news. My levels halved on Tuesday to 194 and then today they have dropped again to 130. So Dr is happy with that and is hopeful that it will continue that way. So yay hopefully I've avoided extra treatment. I even asked when I can start trying again so I'm in a better mind frame about the whole thing. It definitely has shaken my confidence but I'll get back there!
    Yay to the last month of your pill! You have done the hard yards now and are on the home stretch. The enforced 3 months off might work in your favour and have given your right ovary time to heal so it's ready to be back to it's best come cycle time!
    Thanks so much for your support and info, it really helped me!
    Best of luck for your next cycle ( maybe we will be cycle buddies!) I'll be looking forward to hearing of your bfp very soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ectopic pregnancy

Hi @Hopeful37

I had an ectopic this time last year. If you have any questions or want to chat I'm happy to talk.

Take care of yourself xxx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (11-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hopeful37, that's good. I was wondering how you were going. Xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (11-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Olive Oil, getting there! Feeling better today, less discomfort and not as emotional so that helps! How are you feeling? Must not be long for your scan now! How exciting x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (11-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Mellie29 thanks! Sorry to hear of your ectopic, it's a shocking thing to go through hey!
    My hcg has steadily dropped from 700's last Thursday ( the night I went to hosptial) to 350 over the weekend to now 137 today. How long from when u were at about that level did it take you to get to 0? My Dr says even though it has dropped quickly now it could still take 2-3 weeks to go to 0. Was this the case for you? And when u got to 0, how long did it take to get your period? ( can't believe I'm already looking to the future for my next cycle. If you'd asked me on the weekend how I felt about trying again you would have gotten a different answer!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All going well with me, take care xx