+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    What about no drop side cots? I was looking at a couple of baby shops today and found it's becoming more common. I was thinking most were drop side these days but apparently not.
    To be completely honest I have never used the drop sides on my cots!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a Childcare cot (Sandford xt). It has been dismantled a few times and been used for 3 1/2 years total so far, with no signs of wear.
    At the time of purchase, it was the best that I could afford and I'd happily buy it again now.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    What about no drop side cots? I was looking at a couple of baby shops today and found it's becoming more common. I was thinking most were drop side these days but apparently not.
    As long as the base is height adjustable, it's not necessary.
    Tbh, I just used the dropside in place of the higher base setting when bubs were little. Once they could sit up, the dropside went back up and has never come back down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the COCOON Ritz cot and I love it. Really solid product and is a very generous size. I was looking for cots that can change to more then one item and the Ritz was our bassinet, cot. toddler bed now a double bed. It was really good value and included the mattress and storage draw. I have been recommending this brand to family and friensd as Ive had a great experience with mine

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have a boori that is 15 years old! It was my baby brothers and is now onto its tenth baby. It is so solid. It had drop sides but we don't use them really (having said that, my babies tend to sleep in my bed 😂).

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's some safety concerns with drop sides, (Google it- banned on some countries) they don't drop overly easily anyway, so they're not practical.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisau77 For This Useful Post:

ilex  (07-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cot recommendations please

Having volunteering at St Kilda Mums, who re-home a lot of cots, drop sides are a massive no-no these days.

They can be very dangerous. If you have an older one, I highly recommend you call the manufacturer and ensure its still safe to use.

Edit: the exception being the hospital type ones.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cot recommendations please

Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    There's some safety concerns with drop sides, (Google it- banned on some countries) they don't drop overly easily anyway, so they're not practical.
    There is some countries who have banned drop side cots like the USA. I have also read that some cots are lower quality, and that can lead to breakage.

I had a very bad back after dd was born, and she was also at the top of the weight charts. If the cot didn't have a dropside, I would have to consider something like her sleeping on a mattress on the floor once we had to lower the base, as I simply couldn't pick her up and lift her over the side, and then having to kind of drop her in. And if you have a child that needs to be comforted/rocked to sleep, it could wake them up