+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The thought of this happening terrifies me. Since dd was born I've always put my wallet on the backseat next to her so that I have to open the back door before I walk away from the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To the posters who declare 'this could never happen to me' - I think that's quite a dangerous viewpoint. It is far safer to realise that this is a real phenomenon and could potentially happen to anyone, and take steps such as putting your handbag on the back seat, rather than have the false confidence of 'I think of my kids all the time therefore I'm immune'.

I think its great that because of shows/articles/threads about this topic there are now a lot of people who put their bags on the back seat as a prevention strategy. I remember reading the fatal distraction article a while back and it changed my behaviour when its comes to kids and cars.

3. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-06-2015),amyd  (09-06-2015),Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015),BettyV  (09-06-2015),bezzy  (09-06-2015),Busy Bee  (09-06-2015),Gentoo  (09-06-2015),Gracie's Mum  (10-06-2015),lilypily  (09-06-2015),LoveLivesHere  (09-06-2015),MrsSS  (09-06-2015),New Hope  (09-06-2015),Qwerty  (10-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-06-2015),SheWarrior  (09-06-2015),SuperGranny  (10-06-2015),Wise Enough  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone about to have their first baby this terrifies me and I can totally see how it can happen. I think the idea of putting your purse with baby on the backseat is brilliant advice that I will definitely use what a great simple idea.
    For those who think it can't happen to them - I wonder if you've ever had that feeling after you've left home of did I turn the iron/oven/hair straighteners off, or did I lock the door/put the garage door down, or ever drive along and think hang on was the light just green or get somewhere and not really recall the specifics of driving there? As others have said, our brain does these things (and similarly putting baby in/out of the car) on autopilot. Tragically sometimes this can have disastrous consequences (I.e leaving baby in the car or missing a give way sign you drive through every day). So yeah we focus as much as we can and hope to god it never happens to us. But to think it NEVER will happen to you basically because you're particularly self righteous is dangerous and naive.
    I feel so sad for any parent who inadvertently causes harm to their child. How they ever cope with this I don't know. I do know that they're judging the hell out of themselves so they don't need everyone else heaping judgement on them too.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (10-06-2015),Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015),Qwerty  (10-06-2015),SuperGranny  (10-06-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default 60 minutes tonight - fatal distraction story

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Scientifically proven? Or given the name "fatal distraction" as an excuse for a parents lack of concentration?
    Have you read the article that is actually called Fatal Distraction?

It doesn't offer an 'excuse', it offers an insight. This insight is based in lots of scientific exploration and research. It also goes into quite some detail about what exactly occurs in the brain. I would recommend you read it.

Have you never been halfway to work and wondered if you left the iron/stove on? Or couldn't remember whether you added that sugar to your coffee or not? Those things are called your 'schema' - little routine things that become embedded in your brain to the extent it becomes subconscious. I know that the impact is far less (although burning your house down is fairly major!), but it's a similar idea.

IMO the people that assume these things could never happen are most at risk, when, as the article explains, it really *could* happen to almost anyone.

The irony is that the people that assume it could never happen and are most disparaging of others would still experience the same level of compassion and support, despite their views, if it were to occur.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-06-2015),MaximumStarlight  (09-06-2015),MissMuppet  (09-06-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (10-06-2015),SuperGranny  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Have you read the article that is actually called Fatal Distraction?

It doesn't offer an 'excuse', it offers an insight. This insight is based in lots of scientific exploration and research. It also goes into quite some detail about what exactly occurs in the brain. I would recommend you read it.

Have you never been halfway to work and wondered if you left the iron/stove on? Or couldn't remember whether you added that sugar to your coffee or not? Those things are called your 'schema' - little routine things that become embedded in your brain to the extent it becomes subconscious. I know that the impact is far less (although burning your house down is fairly major!), but it's a similar idea.

IMO the people that assume these things could never happen are most at risk, when, as the article explains, it really *could* happen to almost anyone.

The irony is that the people that assume it could never happen and are most disparaging of others would still experience the same level of compassion and support, despite their views, if it were to occur.
    Great minds think alike we pretty much said the same thing at the same time!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-06-2015),harvs  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Do you think about what you post? How insensitive, rude and obnoxious you may appear to others?
    Anyone is capable of this even you. Maybe you should reserve your judgement as one day you may f*** up royally and find you have no one to stand by your side due to your previously uncalled for judgements.
    Now I think that's a bit harsh. I think it's perfectly within the range of normally expected emotions for someone to not be too happy with a parent leaving their kid in a car. Regardless of whether it's a 'scientifically' proven condition or regardless of whether parents on Bub Hub have admitted to doing it - it's something than can kill kids and I totally get why blessedwith3 isn't prepared to gloss over it just to make others feel better.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (09-06-2015),heplusme  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post

Not sure I agree with this? I think parents who don't adequately acknowledge and manage the fact that they have far too much on their plate are more at risk.

And this is one of the reasons why I find it hard to just give parents a free pass on - if parents have far too much on their plates that they can't concentrate on parenting without risking such a major stuff up then that's at least partly on them.

Not meaning to be contentious that's just how I feel.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    It's so scary I totally get how this could happen, we've had similar things happen before accidentally locking our dogs out in the front unfenced yard just not realising that neither of us called them in or not locking the side gate or front door ... It's easy to forget all sorts of things you never thought you would.

I like the idea of the handbag being in the back seat - takes care of the temptation to read text messages too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default 60 minutes tonight - fatal distraction story

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not sure I agree with this? I think parents who don't adequately acknowledge and manage the fact that they have far too much on their plate are more at risk.

And this is one of the reasons why I find it hard to just give parents a free pass on - if parents have far too much on their plates that they can't concentrate on parenting without risking such a major stuff up then that's at least partly on them.

Not meaning to be contentious that's just how I feel.
    But how is it about having too much on your plate? How is it about not concentrating on your parenting? I honestly don't get how it's possible to be so black and white about it when there is so much exploration into the science behind it.

People do stuff like this every day - go to the kitchen to turn the oven on, sit back down having hung the washing out instead. Two hours later go and get the roast out of the cold oven. This is the extreme and devastating end of that same phenomenon.

I think blindly being sure this will never happen to you means not putting any measures into place to avoid it, which is, ok *just as* risky. No one has come out and said "yeah on some level I always felt this would happen to me".

I'm terrified of it. It's put me off driving for a long time. So I will be doing something, anything, when the time comes, to hope that it doesn't happen.

I'm sure the poor parents feel the 'partly on them ness' keenly for the rest of their days. But to put it solely down to shoddy parenting or being busy does little to raise awareness in others.

And yes, I confess I do feel prickly about it because I constantly have 'too much on my plate' and not much choice about it. Still doesn't mean I'm a more risky parent than someone who is convinced they don't need to implement any measures at all.

ETA @VicPark I do understand the horror behind it and I do get why people feel this way to some degree. Have you read the article? Just wondering how you felt about it.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-06-2015),BettyV  (09-06-2015),MissMuppet  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Where is the evidence that it is because people have "Too much on their plate"? It's an interesting theory and I'd love to read up on it if you could post a link or something?

QUOTE=VicPark;8207077]Not sure I agree with this? I think parents who don't adequately acknowledge and manage the fact that they have far too much on their plate are more at risk.

Not meaning to be contentious that's just how I feel.[/QUOTE]