+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    we are all human, and we can all have a lack of concentration.!! there should be no judgements.. I do however believe anyone who leaves their child in a car to go off to play the pokies, they should be judged. marie.
    This. Save your righteousness for those who do it intentionally.

God I hope one day I can be perfect like you Kimberlygal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Experts have agreed that fatal distraction is real. But why would we listen to experts who spend their lives studying things like this for a living, when you seem to have it all worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Scientifically proven? Or given the name "fatal distraction" as an excuse for a parents lack of concentration?

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),atomicmama  (09-06-2015),BlackDiamond  (09-06-2015),GreenMama  (09-06-2015),MissMuppet  (09-06-2015),Wise Enough  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have heard of this happening alot and I just do not understand how it can happen. How a parent can forget their child is mind boggling to me. We are all busy, tired I get that but to forget a child... There was an incident last year where a father drove to drop his 1 year old off at daycare where he parks to catch the bus to work, he forgets to take the child into daycare, hops on the bus and goes about his day then at 4.30 that afternoon he goes into the daycare to collect the child only then realising he never did, the baby was still in the car. Doesn't sit well with me sorry! Don't know about anyone else but I think about my kids many times throughout the day when I'm not with them wondering what their doing etc so if I did happen to leave one somewhere it would soon register.
    While some may see how easily it could happen I do not accept it. I will be as judgy as I like on such a topic that angers me.
    Scientifically proven? Or given the name "fatal distraction" as an excuse for a parents lack of concentration?
    This has made me furious beyond belief, but I will try to remain calm in my response. I am one of those hubbers who has done this. I have left a child in the car and not realised. I was extremely lucky that she was ok.

Now. I used to think like you. My mind boggled at the very thought- how on earth could someone forget a child in a car. I tried not to judge, but I just couldn't understand how it could happen. And then it did. And you know what? It can. To anyone. I sincerely hope you never ever have to feel that feeling of realisation. And I know you will probably say 'I won't, because I am not ever going to forget my child is in the car'. But you know what? Thats EXACTLY what I used to say. Hell I even did have a habit of checking seats and doing a head count prior to it happening. And you know what? The ONE time I didn't, for whatever reason, it happened to me. I honestly thought she was inside with the other kids and my mum. Not sleeping in the seat.

So please, lay off the judgements and open your eyes to the fact it CAN happen, to you or to anyone. All it takes is one tiny momentary lapse in concentration.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

amyd  (09-06-2015),Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015),Chippa  (10-06-2015),harvs  (09-06-2015),LaDiDah  (10-06-2015),Molros  (10-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-06-2015),SammiJane  (10-06-2015),Wise Enough  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, scientifically proven. Believe it or not but you are quite capable of forgetting your child just like the rest of us.

I was also one of those people that struggled to believe that a parent could forget their child. I then read this amazing piece http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...a52_story.html
    So sad 😢

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackDiamond For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blessedwith3boys I find your comments really insensitive given the amount of Mum's who have shared their story. I think it is more common than you think and it's obvious it can happen to anyone. Perhaps it wasn't the time or place to vent.. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are naive to think that it is purely a lack of concentration or bad parenting.

I drive to work on autopilot every single day. I get to work and can't even remember going through certain traffic lights. I will never be naive enough to think this won't happen to me. When my baby is born I will always make sure my handbag is in the backseat as an extra precaution.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigmummahen For This Useful Post:

amyd  (09-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015),gingermillie  (09-06-2015),MaximumStarlight  (09-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-06-2015),Wise Enough  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you think about what you post? How insensitive, rude and obnoxious you may appear to others?
    Anyone is capable of this even you. Maybe you should reserve your judgement as one day you may f*** up royally and find you have no one to stand by your side due to your previously uncalled for judgements.
    Last edited by Lincolns mummy; 09-06-2015 at 15:57.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

amyd  (09-06-2015),Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),just her chameleon  (09-06-2015),LaDiDah  (10-06-2015),Molros  (10-06-2015),Once Upon a Time  (09-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is from an article in news.com

"In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A (Rabbi) student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counsellor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist."

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...-1226732294245

It can literally happen to anyone, rich, poor, educated, uneducated.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),atomicmama  (09-06-2015),MissMuppet  (09-06-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have four children and didn't think I could ever forget a child in a car until I left my baby in the car. I was busy and forgot the baby for the 10-15 minutes I was in the shops. I was lucky that it was winter and she was sleeping. Took me months to forgive myself and even tell my husband.

I am also a parent who has been to emergency with a child who overdosed on medication. The young paediatrician was giving me a lecture on how this should never have happened when his superior butted in and said his dd had taken a whole box of nurofen while sitting next to her mother. She didn't notice.

Really love the suggestion of putting your handbag on the seat next to your babies seats.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

amyd  (09-06-2015),Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015),SheWarrior  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    I have four children and didn't think I could ever forget a child in a car until I left my baby in the car. I was busy and forgot the baby for the 10-15 minutes I was in the shops. I was lucky that it was winter and she was sleeping. Took me months to forgive myself and even tell my husband.

I am also a parent who has been to emergency with a child who overdosed on medication. The young paediatrician was giving me a lecture on how this should never have happened when his superior butted in and said his dd had taken a whole box of nurofen while sitting next to her mother. She didn't notice.

Really love the suggestion of putting your handbag on the seat next to your babies seats.
    Good on the superior for stepping in. Ive also been there although thankfully it turned out she hadn't ingested any.

Point is, accidents happen. NONE of us are perfect. NONE of us are immune to ****ing up royally. You can never say "oh it won't happen to me". Because you know what? It damn well could. Unless you have amazing psychic ability, you just never know.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately this has happened to myself and also to my husband on completly seperate occasions.
    For myself, I was going to the train station to pick up some relatives and had discussed leaving my 2 sons (at the time) with my grandparents but in the end decided to take my youngest with me. At this stage he was roughly 8 months and still rearfacing. When I got to the train station I got out and went to see where their train would get in. After about approx 15mins I realised what I had done and bolted back to my car with absolute panic. When I got there luckily he was fine, a lil upset but fine otherwise. I will never ever forget that feeling though and now completly understand just how incredibly easy it is to do. One small change in routine or converstaion can change everything.

For my husband it happened with our third when he was maybe 3 months. We had been out and got the groceries and a few other things. I took the older 2 inside to bed or something along those lines (and he knew I didn't have our youngest). Hubby unpacked the and then started doing things in the back yard. I finished what I was doing 10-15 minutes later and came out asking where the baby was. Which made hubby run for the car.

Luckily for us neither day was even remotely hot and we both realised in time BUT now we both understand how one split moment has the potential to change anything.

Before anyone judges a person for such a tragedy I really hope you take a long hard look at yourself and ask yourself are you perfect? Have you never made a mistake? Never ever had a lapse in judgement? Because that is all this is except for some people it has had horrific consequences.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (09-06-2015),Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015),MissMuppet  (09-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-06-2015)