+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default 60 minutes tonight - fatal distraction story

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Watching the story now and I cringed at the American lady who said something along the lines of "we were fortunate when they decided not to prosecute."

I can't help thinking a real parent wouldn't be focusing on their own fortune in a situation where their kid dies. Yes I'm judging, perhaps I wouldn't if the mum said something like "they decided not to prosecute but that didn't take away the heartache of losing out child."
    That's way too harsh. I read an article on this when it happened in Helena Valley last year and in America it is basically up to the DA in your area whether or not you get charged for it. Some people are and some people aren't. There is nothing wrong with them considering themselves lucky that no formal charges were laid for what is just a terrible, terrible mistake. The cost of lawyer's fees, etc. would just make an awful situation that much worse for them. They were free to spend their money on the funeral and their time and energy on grieving the loss of their child. How dare you judge them based on that one comment and imply that somehow they're not grieving the loss of their child "correctly" because they're not doing it according to how you think they should.

ETA: Also, don't forget that the producers edit what they say as they see fit. My family gave an interview after my cousin died and the end result was that they were pleading for people to be careful for cyclists when they're driving on the road when in reality they acknowledge that it was just an accident and the truck driver couldn't have avoided him. A voiceover and a carefully asked question by the interviewer changed their sentiment entirely for the viewing public.

As I said above, I researched this last year and it's just terrible. I'm often driving in the car and can forget if DS is in the back seat or not (usually I think he's there when he's not). From memory, the basal ganglia takes over when you're doing repetitive tasks and you simply forget you haven't done something like drop your child at daycare. Your brain can insert the memory of having done it another day when you think about it so you think you've done it. In one story I read, the guy's car alarm went off several times during the day and he went to the window of his office and turned it off with the remote. That one stuck with me, I can only imagine the emotional torment.

It can happen to anyone and you are fooling yourself if you think you're immune and it could never happen to you. It's simply how our brains work. What you can do is take steps to try and prevent it. I make a point of always putting my purse/handbag in the back with DS. If I go to the shops, I won't forget that or at the very least I'll need it long before anything might happen to DS.

It would be useful if there was a car seat alarm that would go off if the car was turned off but there was still a child in it. I think someone was working on it or an app or something but it wasn't very good or didn't work 100% or something.
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 09-06-2015 at 12:47.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-06-2015),Chippa  (09-06-2015),just her chameleon  (09-06-2015),misskittyfantastico  (09-06-2015),MissMuppet  (09-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Have heard of this happening alot and I just do not understand how it can happen. How a parent can forget their child is mind boggling to me. We are all busy, tired I get that but to forget a child... There was an incident last year where a father drove to drop his 1 year old off at daycare where he parks to catch the bus to work, he forgets to take the child into daycare, hops on the bus and goes about his day then at 4.30 that afternoon he goes into the daycare to collect the child only then realising he never did, the baby was still in the car. Doesn't sit well with me sorry! Don't know about anyone else but I think about my kids many times throughout the day when I'm not with them wondering what their doing etc so if I did happen to leave one somewhere it would soon register.
    The father on the program DID think about his little girl a few times that morning. He was thinking about how much fun she'd be having at day care because they were having a 'tropical theme'. It was only after he met up with his wife during lunch that it hit him that he didn't remember dropping their daughter off at day care. Cue instant panic and the discovery the poor girl was inside the car.

Scientific studies have proven this 'fatal distraction' is a very real thing. The human brain is capable of working on autopilot by filling in the blanks where memories are concerned. It's frightening stuff.

Just because you can't imagine doing this yourself, doesn't mean it's not possible.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-06-2015),bigmummahen  (09-06-2015),LoveLivesHere  (09-06-2015),misskittyfantastico  (09-06-2015),Wise Enough  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    On the 60 minutes interview, the man who left his baby in the car when he thought he dropped the child to daycare and his wife have invented a baby alarm that is connected to your phone, if you close the door and the sensor detects the baby it sets the alarm off.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    That's way too harsh. I read an article on this when it happened in Helena Valley last year and in America it is basically up to the DA in your area whether or not you get charged for it. Some people are and some people aren't. There is nothing wrong with them considering themselves lucky that no formal charges were laid for what is just a terrible, terrible mistake. The cost of lawyer's fees, etc. would just make an awful situation that much worse for them. They were free to spend their money on the funeral and their time and energy on grieving the loss of their child. How dare you judge them based on that one comment and imply that somehow they're not grieving the loss of their child "correctly" because they're not doing it according to how you think they should.

ETA: Also, don't forget that the producers edit what they say as they see fit. My family gave an interview after my cousin died and the end result was that they were pleading for people to be careful for cyclists when they're driving on the road when in reality they acknowledge that it was just an accident and the truck driver couldn't have avoided him. A voiceover and a carefully asked question by the interviewer changed their sentiment entirely for the viewing public.

As I said above, I researched this last year and it's just terrible. I'm often driving in the car and can forget if DS is in the back seat or not (usually I think he's there when he's not). From memory, the basal ganglia takes over when you're doing repetitive tasks and you simply forget you haven't done something like drop your child at daycare. Your brain can insert the memory of having done it another day when you think about it so you think you've done it. In one story I read, the guy's car alarm went off several times during the day and he went to the window of his office and turned it off with the remote. That one stuck with me, I can only imagine the emotional torment.

It can happen to anyone and you are fooling yourself if you think you're immune and it could never happen to you. It's simply how our brains work. What you can do is take steps to try and prevent it. I make a point of always putting my purse/handbag in the back with DS. If I go to the shops, I won't forget that or at the very least I'll need it long before anything might happen to DS.

It would be useful if there was a car seat alarm that would go off if the car was turned off but there was still a child in it. I think someone was working on it or an app or something but it wasn't very good or didn't work 100% or something.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    The father on the program DID think about his little girl a few times that morning. He was thinking about how much fun she'd be having at day care because they were having a 'tropical theme'. It was only after he met up with his wife during lunch that it hit him that he didn't remember dropping their daughter off at day care. Cue instant panic and the discovery the poor girl was inside the car.

Scientific studies have proven this 'fatal distraction' is a very real thing. The human brain is capable of working on autopilot by filling in the blanks where memories are concerned. It's frightening stuff.

Just because you can't imagine doing this yourself, doesn't mean it's not possible.
    I'm not referring to a story on 60 mins. I'm talking about a different story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While some may see how easily it could happen I do not accept it. I will be as judgy as I like on such a topic that angers me.
    If it angers you why keep posting when other BH's have confessed to doing so. Not everyone is a perfect parent, doesn't suffer PND, depression, can work three jobs and have everything perfect 😁

It's proven many people do it, what is more sickening to me is that like PP calling police and not breaking in as per your request!? Um ok! The media portrays things in certain ways also. It's a bit like doctor Google. I'm that sleep deprived still I have been putting milk in the cupboard not the fridge 😕

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (09-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-06-2015),yadot  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope that we can overlook the inevitable comments that are always thrown around on this tragic topic and focus on the important, potentially life saving points and lessons.

1. This can happen to any of us. Science has proven this. Please don't think you are immune because you are organised or well rested or somehow better.

2. If you're a parent of a young child, put your bag, purse, wallet, phone in the backseat next to your baby or child.

3. Have a txt check in system in place with your partner. Or an alarm on your phone.

Finally, I just want to applaud the courageous hubbers that have shared their stories knowing full well that they will be judged for their honesty.

Let's just try and support each other and find ways to prevent such tragedies from ever occurring again.

11. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

amyd  (09-06-2015),Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),ArthurDent  (09-06-2015),atomicmama  (09-06-2015),beebs  (09-06-2015),BettyV  (09-06-2015),bigmummahen  (09-06-2015),BlackDiamond  (09-06-2015),Busy Bee  (09-06-2015),Foxy  (09-06-2015),lilypily  (09-06-2015),LoveLivesHere  (09-06-2015),MaximumStarlight  (09-06-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (09-06-2015),New Hope  (09-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-06-2015),shani2  (09-06-2015),stella marie  (10-06-2015),SuperGranny  (09-06-2015),Wise Enough  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cried and cried watching the 60 Minutes story. It's because of stories like this that I mentally review where my kids are when driving if not with me. I'm in the habit of checking each seat when I exit my car and thinking about where they are. I don't do this because I'm a perfect parent; I do this because I can see so easily how this can happen and I'm not so naive to think it won't happen to me.

I absolutely know it could.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not referring to a story on 60 mins. I'm talking about a different story.
    Different story, same tragic mistake.

They actually mentioned the story you were talking about on 60 mins. There was another case of an Australian mother mentioned.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    It's an actual scientifically proven thing. Do you disregard all science? Or just in this instance?
    Scientifically proven? Or given the name "fatal distraction" as an excuse for a parents lack of concentration?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    we are all human, and we can all have a lack of concentration.!! there should be no judgements.. I do however believe anyone who leaves their child in a car to go off to play the pokies, they should be judged. marie.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (10-06-2015),Chippa  (10-06-2015),LaDiDah  (10-06-2015),Wise Enough  (09-06-2015)