+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We had a play pen but ds soon learnt to break out of it. We don't have an open planned house but we don't use baby gates. We have put away really dangerous things and let ds explore the rest of the house. It can get a bit disruptive if you are trying to get things done but I don't like containing him as we live in a pretty small house anyway and needs someway of expending his energy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We used a giant playpen - it was a godsend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Open plan hell with toddler!!

Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    We had a play pen but ds soon learnt to break out of it. We don't have an open planned house but we don't use baby gates. We have put away really dangerous things and let ds explore the rest of the house. It can get a bit disruptive if you are trying to get things done but I don't like containing him as we live in a pretty small house anyway and needs someway of expending his energy.
    This was basically what we did. I gave dd free range of the house-we had a very messy house there for awhile!

Everything nice or breakable was put up high so even I'd need a chair or were packed away if non essential. Drawers that dd could access were either safe to play with or emptied and shoved in higher drawers. I put a lock on the drawers under the sink and put all cleaning stuff there- the only thing I didn't let her open and touch.

The great part was because nothing was forbidden she basically got over going through everything fairly quickly - it took away the mystery and prestige and fun.

It does suck having no nice things out and drawers a big mess but it's for such a short period of time in the end ....

Eta: I did block off the DVD player and tv for a little while until she got over this phase
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 07-06-2015 at 12:59.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We managed to get a gate plus extension to separate our living room/kitchen, didn't have to screw it into the wall either. Like this one :ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1433645851.546469.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Open plan hell with toddler!!

We have a fairly open plan area with our lounge/dining kitchen. There is no way to gate off the kitchen from the kids which I was so worried about when they first started to become mobile, but we adapted. Baby locks on all the cupboards in reach, I left one cupboard with baby safe stuff (Tupperware and other plastic stuff) unlocked so they knew they were allowed to play with whatever in there. Does get annoying sometimes when you are cooking and they are underfoot, but I try and distract with their toys back in the lounge area or the TV if I really need to get things done.

We made sure the everything in the lounge/dining was fairly child friendly so they had free roam. We did have a baby gate to stop them going upstairs (which only came down recently now our youngest is confident going up the stairs by himself).

My house is messy a lot of the time because they kids get around everywhere, but I have learnt now that there's no point cleaning/tidying up until they are having a nap or they are in bed for the night. I tend to do a quick tidy during nap time just to clear up some clutter, and then a better clean up of an evening once they are in bed.
    Last edited by summastarlet; 07-06-2015 at 13:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meals always in highchair at table even now at 2.5yrs so DD cant walk around and spread mess. A portacot as a temporary play space in middle of the lounge open area. And a broom to sweep toys/items into a pile, put in washing basket and pack away. Its so not easy at all and I find myself getting really annoyed but then again its only a short time in your whole life

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a free range mummy

I have magnetic locks on cupboards they are awesome! Keeps husband out too 😁😁

Kids can access whatever. Meh. Doesn't fuss me. First shelf in fridge is for them they know that. Fruit, yoghurt, cheese. Snacks. I just tell them what time they can eat it. They don't like eating at table so they sit at smaller table & chairs

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having a minor panic attack as to all these lovely easy going mummies that let their kids in the kitchen.

Noooooooooooooo. My kitchen is my therapy zone. No one is allowed in there but me. Everything has to be organized and in it's place.

But I will say my kids spent lots of time playing independently in their play space. We used play pens to section off dangerous zones, safety gates to cut off the kitchen and stairs as well as strategically placed furniture to create a safe and secure kids zone.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a free range house. We have never baby proofed anything and they have survived!
    I have a big drawer in the kitchen they can play in and they know not to open anything else. Sure they do sometimes but they are learning!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well tonight she was pulling out plastic bottles from one cupboard and putting into another, opening oven (not on). Kids were sitting drawing at table and I just thought how could I make her sit enclosed at the other end of the room? So back to trying to get less unsafe areas on her level - like heavy saucepans. Oven is always tricky and mega mess annoying!!