+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I don't like my local hospital

I'm here with DS1, every time I bring him I am made to feel like I'm wasting their time.

He's been in with croup quite a few times and other times with fevers etc. we only come at night when we can't get to a doctor.

Tonight I'm here because he has not slept for 3 nights (nor in the day) and he is complaining intermittently about stomach ache. He's off his food too and generally acting up.

we have seen triage and I didn't find them very friendly to DS at all. The nurse also came into the waiting room and said 'who's next?' When I replied that we were, she said 'I can't fit the kid in here'

The room is small but I found the way she said it a bit rude and unprofessional.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs! You are his mummy and you know best! DD has been admitted to hospital 5+ times a year since birth with croup. Don't let them push you aside. If you DS needs care, he needs care! Sometimes you need to speak up because you have to x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BerryDelicious For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, it just makes me never want to bring him and ds2

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's awful SA Girl. They really shouldn't be projecting their negative attitude towards you. What else are you supposed to do if you feel your child needs medical attention - and there is nowhere else to go?! Better to be safe then sorry when it comes to our little ones. Hope it's not a long night for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once when I was pregnant with ds2 I slipped on some wet tiles and fell down 2 stairs, landed on my bottom, I was only about 8/9 weeks pregnant and had some cramping after that. I came in for a check up and all was fine but was told by one of the doctors that I shouldn't have come in, I should have waited to see my gp the next day....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why though? Your gp doesn't have a the facilities to check on baby? They sound terrible, the last thing you need with a sick & sleepless child.

Can you go elsewhere? Would you consider submitting a complaint as it doesn't sound isolated?

Hope everything is ok and you all get some rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks we are home now (finally) and they can't find any cause for DS stomach pain. I am not sure if he is saying it for attention or if he does have it but anyway.

Can't go elsewhere as the next closest hospital doesn't have a paediatric ward the one that does is way too far away (besides this one).

Thanks
    Reviews
    SA Girl, how old is your DS? Is there anyway he could have swallowed something he shouldn't have? Your post scared me a bit after reading this in the paper yesterday
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1227385272794

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ci Qfxb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I'm here with DS1, every time I bring him I am made to feel like I'm wasting their time.

He's been in with croup quite a few times and other times with fevers etc. we only come at night when we can't get to a doctor.

Tonight I'm here because he has not slept for 3 nights (nor in the day) and he is complaining intermittently about stomach ache. He's off his food too and generally acting up.

we have seen triage and I didn't find them very friendly to DS at all. The nurse also came into the waiting room and said 'who's next?' When I replied that we were, she said 'I can't fit the kid in here'

The room is small but I found the way she said it a bit rude and unprofessional.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive
    Do you have after hours dr that can come to your house? In Qld there is a bulk billed service or call a free health line for advise when it's happening?

I can see both sides of the coin, I'm sorry that you're being made to feel bad but our emergency departments are for emergencies.
    If temps are happening only at night then if you monitor and then report to the GP the next day ( if you can't get after hours Dr or health line can't help) then they can still help. Obviously if there's other signs like non blanching rash go straight away

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Pmakes3  (07-06-2015)