+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Am I crazy?

Has anyone else's child been negatively affected by a 'nice' children's story book?

I'm starting to wonder if a particular book is causing my child to wake up!

Last night was a NIGHTMARE. My 4yr old DS woke every hour from 10pm, cried every time, wouldn't say what was upsetting him, did the usual scream, cry, kick, says he's stuck, first had a sore leg, then sore stomach, then sore chin. Wanted to be picked up and cuddled every time. Settle back down, wake up an hour later and repeat. The.whole.night.

I bought his brother a book called 'by the light of the moon', a seemingly harmless story book about mother mouse and baby mouse. Basically mother mouse puts baby mouse into his bed, only to be told by mole that it's not a safe bed, she moves him underground to a new bed, baby mouse can't sleep, so an owl tells her too be baby mouse to a nest, she carries baby mouse to a best, tucks him in, baby mouse gets scared, duck tells mother mouse to move him to a bed of reeds, again, baby mouse doesn't like his new bed, so mother mouse again picks him up and moves him.

It's a sweet book and used to be my favourite, but I'm starting to think my child is almost acting out the scenes of the book, with wanting me to pick him up, asking to sleep in a different bed at times, the constant waking etc.

Tonight is night 3 in a row of this behaviours, and he insists that I read this book to him before bed, he then reads it back to me.

I cannot think of any other reason why he is waking, I've thought through everything, I mean, yes we have had a lot going on lately, and some of the things may have upset him or unsettled him, but this waking every hour is NOT normal. He's been through very rough sleep patches in the past but this is by far the worst.

Do you think it may be this book which is causing him to wake so much? It seems awfully similar. I only made the connection tonight...

Am I crazy to think it could be the reason?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I'm only new to parenting but i don't think it's that far fetched that the story is somehow involved. I remember being terribly upset by some stories when I was little...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My boy would be scared of that story and he's 4 also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    My boy would be scared of that story and he's 4 also
    Have you read it before? Do you know the story I'm referring to? Just asking because it's not actuallyeant to be a scary story. Plus he has loved it from the first time I ever read it, he asks me to read it every night and if I don't he gets really upset and sometimes throws a tantrum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids were terrified of "I'm going on a bear hunt".

Nightmares for months till I worked it out.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    My kids were terrified of "I'm going on a bear hunt".

Nightmares for months till I worked it out.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    My kids love this book but I've often thought it would freak me out if I was 3/4 yrs old

I mean, the way the bear follows then home...

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I don't think you are crazy. I think its possible it could scare him. Particularly if he is feeling a bit of separation anxiety or you've had a lot going on. I used to get scare by all sorts of stuff as a kid. Shame my parents were less understanding.

I saw something online today with the point of putting more wonder and mystery in your childs life. They had made their toy dinosaurs come "alive" at night and they would get up to mischief (ie. Getting into food or playing board games). Seems cute and innocent to an adult maybe but it would have given me nightmares as a kid and made it hard to sleep. Same with the elf on a shelf. That would have been torturous for me as a kid!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to admit that I have not been very understanding at all, especially last night. I just can't cope with so little sleep and no other help or support. I seriously feel like I'm failing my child and I am failing miserably as a parent. How can I be better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would make an excuse as to why I couldn't read the story and read something else instead. See if that helps.