+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Haha, sounds like The IT crowd. Best tv show ever

Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    DH wears them all the time. He works in the IT department in an open plan corporate office. He wears them for a variety of reasons.

1. To listen to music
    2. To block out the noise
    3. To give off that "***** off and leave me alone vibe".

All IT requests are supposed to be logged through a phone call to the help desk, but many people think that doesn't apply to them, so they wander down and harass the IT guys. They assume everyone in IT does the same job, but they don't. DH is the systems administrator/network engineer, so he doesn't deal with the day to day jobs like the printer has run out of toner, my computer has frozen kind of jobs. By wearing headphones (sometimes accompanied by a post it note stuck to the ear saying "leave me alone" lol) it sort of stops all the interruptions and lets him actually do his work. He is the first person the come across as they walk in, so he's always the first to get harassed. Plus his bosses aren't even based in Brisbane so that side of things is a non issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dh uses them at work. He works in IT and spends a lot of the day programming. In order to get his job done he needs to be uninterrupted and able to focus on the job at hand. Since the days of actual 'offices' are gone and people are expected to concentrate with all the noise and buzz of open plan workplaces, I think its only reasonable they be given some leeway to create their own workspace and tools for concentration.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-06-2015),smallpotatoes  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    They have a time and a place. I wear them if I have a deadline and don't want distractions. Only ever for an hour or so. It's common in my office. I work in marketing and it is a social job to throw ideas around etc, but that creates a lot of noise.

As long as it's not all day every day I see no issue. Though if you have a client facing role and are in charge of answering the phones then it's not acceptable.

In a way it's the same as being in an individual office and closing the door, it's like a do not disturb sign. As long as it's not all the time or you're unable to perform your role properly in doing so, I have no issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My headphones in was a "do not disturb" mostly at end of month when I needed to be in the zone to get everything completed. But then my colleagues knew to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention. Mind you my music was never loud so I could still hear if somebody called me. I loved it as I found that my work was better and far more enjoyable. The only calls or interaction I really needed was over the phone in which I called them not the other way around. Plus we had Lync so most interaction could be done over IM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have an open plan office, when we need to concentrate and time out we will use earphones, but we also let our direct colleagues know

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dh uses them, but he is anti social. He mainly uses them because there is a slightly cray cray person who sits near him who persistently whispers under her breath all day. She breaks his brain.