+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default WDYT? Headphones on at work

Large open plan office, very noisy chatter wise, lots of corporate visitors.

Are headphones okay for blocking out chatter? Or do they look too unprofessional and make people unapproachable too much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on your role somewhat. The girls in our accounts team wear them, but they don't really need to interact with anyone much as they're mostly there for data entry/processing.

But there's a girl in my team who wears them and its really annoying as we need to regularly chat/throw ideas around/ask each other things, and as she can't hear us we have to go around and wave at her to get her attention.

I personally think it's quite 'antisocial' - not that you have to be sociable in the 'lets chat and be friends with everyone' sense, but more so that it makes you seem unapproachable.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-06-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it depends on the role and their need to interact.
    A receptionist in my office - no way. Need to answer phones, deal with clients, speak to staff regularly.
    Someone who doesn't need to interact often, maybe. But I'd prefer they did what someone in our place does and have one in and one out. I think it's more approachable. But I really think it depends on the role.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Also quite a lot of people with Autism and Aspergers do it so they can function in the workplace.

Just a thought
    Last edited by Maxwell's Silver Hammer; 04-06-2015 at 20:35.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-06-2015),gingermillie  (04-06-2015),LoveLivesHere  (05-06-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I dont think they are great for a corporate office.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only wear headphones at work if my manager is away as we interact a lot through the day and I'd feel rude to have them in when she's there. When she's not there, I can go all day without anyone needing to talk to me, but I still leave one in, one out just in case. I have a lot of chatter boxes around me and I have the music as quiet as I can have it so I can still hear what's going on if I need to, no one else can hear it and I can concentrate on my work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I used to use them in Payroll. I would listen to audiobooks all day and get bucket loads of work done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use them very frequently to focus on my work. It's an accepted practice at my workplace.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Working in accounts nearly everyone has them, helps to drown out chatter and concentrate on your work. When I worked in a large office we were only allowed one in and one out though.
    If your dealing with people alot then I would say no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last workplace banned us from using headphones. Blanket ban, across all departments. Their reasoning was that it was unsafe

I believe it was a combination of a quiet day and an over controlling HR manager! We weren't happy at all.