+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling lost- should I change clinic/ FS?

After a long time of lurking on this forum I thought I'd ask for some advice.

i just completed a stim cycle which resulted in one egg but no embryo. I've tried to make a follow up appointment as we would like to go straight into another cycle but was told my FS couldn't see me until August!

I feel very let down by the whole process and very much just like a number, certainly not a patient.

i am being treated at Monash in Melbourne. I stimulated for 14 days, on day 8 I had 8 follicles on each ovary, averaging 10mm. By day 14 only 5 'or maybe 6' had grown sufficiently (total, not per ovary). That same day I received a call from a nurse I had never dealt with before saying that we wouldn't be doing a transfer this month due to 'elevated blood levels'. She wasn't able to tell me what was elevated or when the transfer could occur... To say she was vague would be an understatement. I had to follow up the next day with my regular nurse to try to get a proper explanation of what was going on. Obviously I was devistated with the low number of follicles and then being told we wouldn't be able to transfer.

At no point was it suggested to cancel the cycle due to the low number of follicles. Then at egg collection only one egg was able to be picked up which didn't fertilise... Another blow.

With such a disappointing outcome I would have thought I could see my Dr sooner than in two months time! I've never warmed to him and find his office staff rude and at times unprofessional. I don't know if we should just start again elsewhere? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Me: 33 TTC 18 months, never conceived, unexplained infertility
    DH: 29

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't had any experience with a FS and I am not in Melbourne to know about this doctors reputation BUT I think your tone says it all.

I would start looking for someone else. The pain of infertility is bad enough without feeling uncomfortable and 'like a number' at your clinic.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

Kookii  (19-06-2015),LaineyG  (04-06-2015),Wiccan  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry you've had a tough time. IVF is hard enough as it is without your clinic stuffing you around!
    The same scenario happened at our first clinic: 1 IVF, 1 FET both BFN, told the wait to have a follow up appointment was 3 months! We were devastated & wanted answers & a new plan.
    In the time it took to wait to see our first FS again we booked into a new clinic, had tests & started treatment.
    We were successful our first cycle with the new clinic. We were so much happier there & they were willing to try new things as we had 2x failed cycles under our belt. I was so much more relaxed about the whole process with the new clinic it just had a different vibe.
    Definitely get a second opinion!
    Good luck I hope your next cycle is successful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

LaineyG  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    In the time it took to wait to see our first FS again we booked into a new clinic, had tests & started treatment.
    So were you able to get a referral to the new FS with the current one with your original one still active?

We are in a very similar predicament at the moment, trying to decide what to do next & whether to move FS.
    It's playing hard on my emotions at the moment, the indecision of it all etc.

I'm almost tempted to stay with our current FS for one more go, but to get an initial consultation with another FS clinic in the mean time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @LaineyG Oh Luv, I'm so sorry, what a terrible blow for you and your DH

Sounds like your P4 levels (progesterone) may have been too high which is the usual reason (besides being a high risk for OHSS) that they would do a freeze all of the embryo's and wait to do a FET the next month.

Now, the BT's would've also in most likelihood, shown that your E2 levels (estrogen) weren't correlating to the amount of follicles that they believed were available. It's usually a combination of blood results plus the measurement of the follicles that determine whether it's time to go to EPU. That being said, there's no guarantee that all follicles will have eggs in them either unfortunately, but usually the results of your E2 prior to EPU can give your FS a bit of heads up on that.

If your FS honestly thought there were 6 follicles ready for the taking, he/she probably wouldn't have suggested cancelling the Cycle. Do you know if they only got 1 egg or they got more but the other eggs weren't suitable to be used due to immaturity for eg because there's a big difference between only 1 egg vs 6 eggs but 5 of them aren't usable IYKWIM??

What you need is a follow up appointment with your FS to find out what the fruck's happened in this Cycle. If he/she's gone on holiday's already and you can't even get in for a face to face until August, I'd definitely be going elsewhere to try again even if it's a different FS within the same Clinic you're with now.

Do a bit of research via Google or ask the Girls here on BH in the IVF section who'd they'd recommend to go and see and get the wheels in motion with that. You could squeeze another Cycle in before your FS gets back if you can get in quicker with someone else.

At the very least, you'll find out what happened on this Cycle as the new FS will have your notes (which you should organise getting a hard copy of for yourself from your Clinic now. There might be charge involved for that) and can tell you what went wrong and what he/she'd do differently (if anything) next time.

Good Luck Luv!!! Am hoping your next Cycle brings you your sticky BFP!!!
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 04-06-2015 at 14:31.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

LaineyG  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @Calstar I went to my GP for another referral for Wazza when I transferred over to him even though the referral for my original FS was still active

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Calstar  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would get a second opinion but stay within Monash. That way you don't have to pay another joining fee anywhere else and they can just transfer your file. Lynn Burmeister is amazing. I met her a couple of times then ran into her a few months later in the elevator when I was stimming. She remembered who I was, looked at the scan slip, and even remembered she had lowered my dose.

The waiting list is long but I believe she's one of the best in Australia. She should be able to tell you what's going on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

LaineyG  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would find another FS if I were you. We are with CFC in Melbourne and have been really happy with the clinic and our FS. I'm not sure if I could have waited that long to get some answers after a failed cycle. We saw our FS a few days after our failed cycle and I felt so much better talking it through and having a plan in place. Good luck with your journey.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to maxinem2112 For This Useful Post:

LaineyG  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling lost- should I change clinic/ FS?

Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    So were you able to get a referral to the new FS with the current one with your original one still active?

We are in a very similar predicament at the moment, trying to decide what to do next & whether to move FS.
    It's playing hard on my emotions at the moment, the indecision of it all etc.

I'm almost tempted to stay with our current FS for one more go, but to get an initial consultation with another FS clinic in the mean time.
    Yep just booked the new FS, went to the GP & said we want a referral to Dr x at y clinic please. I was a mess at the GP appointment so she could tell I wasn't in a good place with the clinic at the time.
    I do believe that the support staff are just as important as the FS. You don't want to be given the run around by nurses/receptionists etc. my first clinic was awful in that respect, it was such a relief to get into the new clinic & be treated like a human being, but just a number. So keep the big picture in mind. Unless you have complicated issues I would choose a clinic a feel comfortable with over a specific FS.
    Last edited by rosey82; 04-06-2015 at 15:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Yep just booked the new FS, went to the GP & said we want a referral to Dr x at y clinic please. I was a mess at the GP appointment so she could tell I wasn't in a good place with the clinic at the time.
    I do believe that the support staff are just as important as the FS. You don't want to be given the run around by nurses/receptionists etc. my first clinic was awful in that respect, it was such a relief to get into the new clinic & be treated like a human being, but just a number. So keep the big picture in mind. Unless you have complicated issues I would choose a clinic a feel comfortable with over a specific FS.
    Thanks for the clarification

My issues aren't really to do with the staff. I actually really like the nurses & other support staff at our clinic.

Mine is more about poor results & second opinions, and maybe not being able to get certain testing etc done where we currently are.

We have seen a mixture of FS at our clinic, as our specific FS has had periods of extended leave. Some we've felt more of a connection with then others.