+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any cat experts out there?

We recently ended up with a stray kitten I'm guessing 4 weeks old.

For the first few days I was syringe feeding because it had no idea how to drink from a bowl. It's recently moved onto some soft food & has been vet checked (yesterday) and had a flea & worm treatment.

I thought one of these things would solve our problem but its hasn't.

The kitten cries CONSTANTLY.

Its like having a newborn again.

It cant find its own food/formula so at night when it cries I have to get up, pick it up & put it in front of its food (same with the kitty litter) then pat it back to sleep.

We do this process 4 - 8 times in a 24 hour period.

The cat however has no problem finding me. It will follow me around crying (its walking fine) I always pick it up for a pat first but if that doesn't help, I take it to its formula, then wet food, then litter trey.

Just then I left it at its formula, it drank a little then tracked me down to cry some more. I've taken it to its wet food & its gobbled it down.

Our house is not big & this cat has no idea what it wants. Its just finds me & cries until I work out what it needs then I pat it back to sleep.

It has definatly adopted me as mum. Please tell me this is normal for its age & I have not Inherited the most needy cat in the world. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    This is very very normal. Think a 2 yr old toddler running after its mum whining and not knowing it is tired

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is normal. It no longer has it's mum and seems to have adopted you. This stage will pass and, if you keep it, you will have a beautiful companion for many years. 4 weeks is incredibly young and normally kittens aren't separated from their mothers until after 6-8 weeks. It will learn it's own way, eventually.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (04-06-2015),Cicho  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Funny you should post this, I too have had a stray (?) kitten adopt me in the past few days. Mine sounds older than yours though, so it's a lot easier! We are not keeping it though so I hope it finds it's owners again in the next couple of days, otherwise I'll have to help it in it's search...

Good luck with yours, hopefully it settles down soon!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any cat experts out there?

We had a 6 week kitten rock up on our doorstep 6 years ago.
    I found it helpful to confine her to one area of the house (second bathroom in our old house) with her food/milk/water at one end & litter tray at the other (cats hate to eat where they p00p). We put her bed under the cabinet where she felt secure.
    We kept her in there for the first week, then let her into other parts of the house little by little, letting her feel safe in each area, before opening up more of the house.
    Cats need time to adjust & feel safe in a new environment. We still put our cats in 1 room for a few days when we move house.
    Now that kitten is a spoiled 6 year old lovely cat!
    TBH now I have had a baby I would also carry a kitten that young around in a sling for part of the day too to give it some "mummy time". Is that weird?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    TBH now I have had a baby I would also carry a kitten that young around in a sling for part of the day too to give it some "mummy time". Is that weird?
    I hope not because I've been tucking it in my singlet/jumper just to get some house work done :-/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BerryDelicious For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-06-2015),rosey82  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like it's been separated from it's mother way too early, poor little mite. It's normal, sounds like it has adopted you as it's new mum. It might just take a few weeks to learn its in a safe environment and then it will start being more independent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally normal. My cat did that when I first collected her and she was 10 weeks old. I remember crying myself through frustration at not being able to work out what was wrong! She's just letting you know she's there and she'll stop when she feels more comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's only 4 weeks old. Normal time of seperation of kittens from their mums is 8 weeks. She will grow out of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Oh the poor, wee thing Yes, at 4 weeks old, it's far too young to be away from its mother. It's having separation anxiety when it's away from you. You are now its mum and like any newborn, it needs to be with you all the time virtually. I'm so bad, I'd be letting the kitten sleep with me

I'm going to call out to one of my good BH friends @Skyler who knows a thing or 2 about cats so she can give you the benefit of her wisdom Good on you for taking it in and looking after it as well I would've done the same
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 04-06-2015 at 19:02.