+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    There's a link within this link that takes you to a copy of the brochure http://www.sydneycatholic.org/news/l...528_1872.shtml
    Ugh! They're so hypocritical 😐

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I just don't know where to begin reading that brochure GLBT shouldn't be discriminated against.... except when it comes to marriage! Marriage is no longer a religious convention it's a secular one. And the carrying on about a child needing a mother and a father. No they don't they need people that love them and good male and female role models around them. That can be a grandfather, or uncle, or a female friend.

Reading that had me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I just don't know where to begin reading that brochure GLBT shouldn't be discriminated against.... except when it comes to marriage! Marriage is no longer a religious convention it's a secular one. And the carrying on about a child needing a mother and a father. No they don't they need people that love them and good male and female role models around them. That can be a grandfather, or uncle, or a female friend.

Reading that had me
    I could only read the first page because it had me fuming already!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it is ok at all, their intention may not be to discriminate. But that I exactly what they are doing. One of my good friends is a practising Catholic and even she acknowledges that if a group aren't allowed to do something that everyone else can based on their sexuality then yes - that is discrimination.

I don't think that because it is a religion, we shouldn't be able to voice our dissatisfaction. That goes for any religion.

I think it is actually laughable the Catholic church and other Christian groups go on about the "traditional" meaning of marriage, when marriage was around loooong before Christianity - including same sex marriage in Mesopotamia and Egypt. It's isn't like the Christians even invented it or anything.
    Last edited by beebs; 05-06-2015 at 12:10.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Cue  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be furious if my kids brought propaganda like that home from school.

It's totally inappropriate for a school to try to use it's students to push a political agenda. Especially such a discriminatory, nasty agenda.

I hope there's a huge outcry over this and teachers/principals refuse to comply. Schools should teach love and acceptance, not the opposite.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I don't think it is ok at all, their intention may not be to discriminate. But that I exactly what they are doing. One of my good friends is a practising Catholic and even she acknowledges that if a group aren't allowed to do something that everyone else can based on their sexuality then yes - that is discrimination.

I don't think that because it is a religion, we shouldn't be able to voice our dissatisfaction. That goes for any religion.

I think it is actually laughable the Catholic church and other Christian groups go on about the "traditional" meaning of marriage, when marriage was around loooong before Christianity - including same sex marriage in Mesopotamia and Egypt. It's isn't like the Christians even invented it or anything.
    Exactly! Marriage is not an exclusively Christian practice. If they must, they can decide not to marry same sex couples in their churches. But they have no right to weigh in on other marriage practices outside of their domain. It has nothing to do with them.

And schools should never use children to make political statements. It is such a highly politicised issue at the moment, leave it to the appropriate church channels to make statements in the media or within church walls - to adults who can understand and make their own judgements - and keep the kids out of it.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

BeautyOfTheSoul  (05-06-2015),beebs  (05-06-2015),Gentoo  (05-06-2015),smallpotatoes  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Catholic church from this school needs to move with the times. Ireland is far more religious than us and they've just allowed marriage equality through referendum.

my friend sends her daughter to a catholic school and her teacher is gay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They are completely nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...-1227391644573

Just gotta look at these idiots.

Threatening to get divorced if gay marriage is allowed, is just making an absolute mockery of their own vows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...-1227391644573

Just gotta look at these idiots.

Threatening to get divorced if gay marriage is allowed, is just making an absolute mockery of their own vows.
    Some people just feel the need to prove they are idiots to the whole world.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear you OP. I lost faith in catholic schools long ago when the neighbours 9 year (who attends catholic school) told me dinosaurs never existed :-/