+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I am torn on this. Im guessing the pamphlet is a reflection of what the catholic church in australia teaches and believes? Whilst I disagree with their stance on gay marriage, I understand their rights to have their own beliefs. If it were a muslim school telling girls to dress modestly, would it get the same backlash? I wouldnt send my child to a catholic school, because I dont personally agree with their fundamental beliefs and teachings. I think its unfair to send your child to a religious school, &then get upset when the school teaches principles of that religion. As long as the school is upfront about their beliefs and what they teach from the beginning.
    I see them as different issues. In the first instance, marriage is not owned by the Catholic Church so they have no right saying who can and cannot marry. Marriage in Australia is a civil issue in what's supposedly a secular country (though Tony Abbott seems to forget that). Also, there's a huge difference in telling women to dress modestly (which I also disagree with) and discrimination against people because of their sexuality. And, without wanting to come across as sarcastic or mocking, I'll hazard a guess that there is little link between Muslim girls being told to dress modestly and suicide rates among young Muslims. But there is a huge link between LGBTQI youths and depression and suicide, which is directly as a result of them feeling as though they are abnormal or because they are ashamed or being shamed by others. Imagine what reading this sort of pamphlet would have on a gay, Catholic 10 year old who is already feeling unsupported and marginalized by their religion. I almost see it as a form of bullying. If I was a devout Catholic and made up a pamphlet and handed it out to my work colleagues, I'd be taken up for a breach of EEO and likely fired. But for the Archbishop, it's a-ok? I think not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi delirium i haven't read the pamphlet, so i don't know what it says, but why do you say it is "bigotry dressed up as morality " . unless it says the other lifestyles are evil or not to be accepted, it is not bigotry to say this is what the catholic church teaches. same as it is not bigotry for a muslim to say we believe xyz. xyz is fine if that is what they believe, but to say abc is wrong and vile and not allowed that is bigotry, that is my understanding anyway. marie.
    Bc they are very clearly making offensive assumptions about what is a normal marriage and what isn't. This is being taught to young impressionable minds which will then in turn perpetuate these beliefs. Then there is the issue they are trying to take away, or maybe more accurately they are trying to withhold a basic human right of marriage. This isn't just a benign opinion, these beliefs are actively attempting to stop people from experiencing the same basic right you and I have as heterosexuals to marry the one we love.

In my mine it's most certainly bigotry which they pretend is moral, when in fact these beliefs are immoral and against everything Jesus stood for.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-06-2015),SuperGranny  (04-06-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    as I said , I haven't read the documents or even heard anything read from the documents. I have been brought up catholic, and I attend catholic mass most weeks. I have not yet seen or heard anything of what this debate is about. Speaking from my own upbringing, and from the catholics I know, I haven't come across any negatives or bigotry. I don't understand why there should be such negativity. I have met some rather negative people from other religions however. Ii agree with you, Jesus , said love one another as I have loved you. that doesn't sound like it means to exclude certain ones. marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    as I said , I haven't read the documents or even heard anything read from the documents. I have been brought up catholic, and I attend catholic mass most weeks. I have not yet seen or heard anything of what this debate is about. Speaking from my own upbringing, and from the catholics I know, I haven't come across any negatives or bigotry. I don't understand why there should be such negativity. I have met some rather negative people from other religions however. Ii agree with you, Jesus , said love one another as I have loved you. that doesn't sound like it means to exclude certain ones. marie

People seem to overlook that little thing that Jesus said when it comes to gay people though.
    I lost ALL of my my friends from high school, including someone I had been best friends with since Kindergarten because I came out.

There are negative people in all religions. You're lucky that the people you know aren't negative or anything.
    @delirium, I believe the government ruled not long ago that it's apparently not a basic human right

Thanks
    Reviews
    You sound like my grandmother and my aunts. All Catholic, all very liberal minded and accepting. I didn't post this to shame Catholics or suggest all Catholics or religious people are bigots or discriminatory. I didn't set out to cause offence and I apologise if I did as you certainly strike me as one of the loveliest, most genuine Hubbers around.
    Last edited by Moxy; 04-06-2015 at 16:56.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-06-2015),SuperGranny  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    You sound like my grandmother and my aunts. All Catholic, all very liberal minded and accepting. I didn't pay this to shame Catholics or suggest all Catholics or religious people are bigots or discriminatory. I didn't set out to cause offence and I apologise if I did as you certainly strike me as one of the loveliest, most genuine Hubbers around.
    I agree. Not all Catholics, or religious people for that matter are bigots. There are atheists that are homophobic. I have a few practicing family members that are kind, wonderful people. Let me be clear. I'm talking about the Catholics in positions of power who openly fight against the GLBT community having the same rights as us based on their own opinions.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (04-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    You sound like my grandmother and my aunts. All Catholic, all very liberal minded and accepting. I didn't pay this to shame Catholics or suggest all Catholics or religious people are bigots or discriminatory. I didn't set out to cause offence and I apologise if I did as you certainly strike me as one of the loveliest, most genuine Hubbers around.
    She really is lovely She never has a bad word to say and is always so supportive of everyone

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BeautyOfTheSoul For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I am torn on this. Im guessing the pamphlet is a reflection of what the catholic church in australia teaches and believes? Whilst I disagree with their stance on gay marriage, I understand their rights to have their own beliefs. If it were a muslim school telling girls to dress modestly, would it get the same backlash? I wouldnt send my child to a catholic school, because I dont personally agree with their fundamental beliefs and teachings. I think its unfair to send your child to a religious school, &then get upset when the school teaches principles of that religion. As long as the school is upfront about their beliefs and what they teach from the beginning.
    Yes I am thinking it's due to what the catholic church teaches and believes. I could just imagine if it was a muslim school sending something home re their beliefs. Don't see it being much different really, surely if one sends their child to a catholic school or such they would expect them to be taught that faith otherwise why send them there?! Ds' s school teaches the catholic faith in that they do prayers, go to church etc, they also push the 4 R's and encourage kids to treat all the same. There's been no mention of same sex marriage, homophobia in any form whether it's right or wrong and I don't think there needs to be.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (10-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While I vehemently disagree with the message, I think it's something parents should consider before enrolling their children in religious schools.
    It's no secret that the Catholic Church is against gay marriage, so I don't know why people are surprised that they're trying to project this belief on students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a link within this link that takes you to a copy of the brochure http://www.sydneycatholic.org/news/l...528_1872.shtml