+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They have overstepped the line - this is not okay. It's disgusting actually

And they wonder why so many people shun organised religion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautyOfTheSoul View Post
    I went to a Christian High School. It was the 'better' school in our area. In other words, not so many drugs rampant. My parents sent us there because of this. We were not a religious family at all but I'm pretty sure the principal thought he could get us kids - didn't happen haha.

Some of the teachers did not like me because I was not Christian. it was very obvious and very frustrating. My parents didn't get married until I was in Year 8 and obviously I was excited when they told us they got married. I told one of the teachers and was told to never mention it again. I didn't understand why at that point because to me, it was normal that they weren't married and didn't mean a thing to me.

I was not out in high school and I am kind of thankful for that now. My best friend was a gay guy though - the only LGBTI person in the entire school. Most of the teachers disliked him and so did most of the other students. One of the guys even made a false s.exual allegation against him. He was treated so poorly, it was truly disgusting.

We had "middle school" and Bible Studies involved learning all about the bible. Then in years 9 and 10 we did "Religion" and this was basically being told what was in the bible and how all other religions were wrong - I kid you not.
    See this was nothing like my experience. The highschools i went to were the top 2 in our area, and we were encouraged to study and embrace other religions. Religion was never shoved down our throats. At my senior school they even encouraged teen mums to continue their schooling and provided lots of support. A lot of single parents and unwed parents as well.... I guess we were just lucky in that the schools were so accepting of things that are generally looked down on in the catholic church.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be surprised that this was put to every catholic school and also any other Lutheran or Anglican school. I think without the support of the parish priest or pastor,, it might not even get to the principals. I would expect the religious schools to at least point out what the 'ideal' 'biblical' situation should be. as the bible says, man and woman joined together and go forth and multiply. I seriously doubt that most of the teachers/ principals these days would still have such narrow views of the world. I know when I was at high school forty years ago we had some very open and frank discussions about life, and relationships, and reproduction. way before ivf, and same sex couples or aids had even become common place. I think it is ok to encourage acceptance. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    See this was nothing like my experience. The highschools i went to were the top 2 in our area, and we were encouraged to study and embrace other religions. Religion was never shoved down our throats. At my senior school they even encouraged teen mums to continue their schooling and provided lots of support. A lot of single parents and unwed parents as well.... I guess we were just lucky in that the schools were so accepting of things that are generally looked down on in the catholic church.

Teen mums were asked to leave my high school. We had one in my year (in year 9) and several in the few years ahead of mine.

There was a lot of shoving of religion down throats. The teachers and even maintenance staff had to be Christian and regularly attending church as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be furious.
    I don't understand why they keep saying same-sex couples getting married would ruin the sanctity of marriage???? I mean, straight people sh*t all over marriage constantly and always have???? Plus, marriage is a man-made concept???? Why can it not evolve with the rest of society???

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-06-2015),Busy-Bee  (04-06-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (11-06-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (04-06-2015),VicPark  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    I'd be furious.
    I don't understand why they keep saying same-sex couples getting married would ruin the sanctity of marriage???? I mean, straight people sh*t all over marriage constantly and always have???? Plus, marriage is a man-made concept???? Why can it not evolve with the rest of society???

This!!

Maybe we should go back and start selling off women for cows and sheep? Maybe modernise it and make it phones and laptops?

And stoning people who get divorced? Maybe that will help with the sanctity of marriage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautyOfTheSoul View Post
    Teen mums were asked to leave my high school. We had one in my year (in year 9) and several in the few years ahead of mine.

There was a lot of shoving of religion down throats. The teachers and even maintenance staff had to be Christian and regularly attending church as well.
    We went to a very catholic school and it was rammed down our throats.
    My sister graduated a couple of years ago and during year 12 the Principals daughter who was school captain fell pregnant. She very quickly disappeared from school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am torn on this. Im guessing the pamphlet is a reflection of what the catholic church in australia teaches and believes? Whilst I disagree with their stance on gay marriage, I understand their rights to have their own beliefs. If it were a muslim school telling girls to dress modestly, would it get the same backlash? I wouldnt send my child to a catholic school, because I dont personally agree with their fundamental beliefs and teachings. I think its unfair to send your child to a religious school, &then get upset when the school teaches principles of that religion. As long as the school is upfront about their beliefs and what they teach from the beginning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I am torn on this. Im guessing the pamphlet is a reflection of what the catholic church in australia teaches and believes? Whilst I disagree with their stance on gay marriage, I understand their rights to have their own beliefs. If it were a muslim school telling girls to dress modestly, would it get the same backlash?
    The problem though is that your example only affects other Muslims. These people are trying to ruin it for all GLBT people that are often not Catholic, or even Christian. Worse still, they are filling young minds with bigotry, dressed up as morality.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-06-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi delirium i haven't read the pamphlet, so i don't know what it says, but why do you say it is "bigotry dressed up as morality " . unless it says the other lifestyles are evil or not to be accepted, it is not bigotry to say this is what the catholic church teaches. same as it is not bigotry for a muslim to say we believe xyz. xyz is fine if that is what they believe, but to say abc is wrong and vile and not allowed that is bigotry, that is my understanding anyway. marie.