+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anti marriage equality being pushed in Catholic schools

This article was in Melbourne's "The Age" today http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/arch...03-ghg3mk.html

For the non clickers:

Children at Catholic schools have been sent home with glossy booklets that oppose gay marriage following a request by the Archbishop of Melbourne.

But the move has been criticised by some principals and an anti-bullying program that aims to stamp out homophobia in schools.

Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart wrote to about 200 principals at Catholic primary and secondary schools on Monday, urging them to lobby parents to support the current "meaning of marriage".

Archbishop Hart said it was urgent that "the meaning of marriage" and the "implications of redefining marriage" were highlighted.

Principals were asked to give parents a pastoral letter from the Catholic bishops of Australia titled " Don't Mess with Marriage".

"You might also consider asking them to send it to their Members of Parliament with a covering letter," Mr Hart said.

The 15-page booklet said redefining marriage would have "far-reaching consequences". "All marriages would come to be defined by intensity of emotion rather than a union founded on sexual complementarily and potential fertility."

It said it was important for children to have a mother and a father. " 'Messing with marriage', therefore, is also 'messing with kids'."

The Archbishop's intervention came as politicians continued to lobby Prime Minister Tony Abbott to allow a free vote for Liberal MPs on same-sex marriage. On Monday Labor Leader Bill Shorten introduced a bill in federal parliament to legalise same-sex marriage.

Fairfax Media understands that some Catholic principals are offended by the material and have refused to pass it on to students and parents.

The Safe Schools Coalition, which works to create a safe environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender students, urged principals not to distribute the material.  

The coalition's co-ordinator, Roz Ward, said the material could damage the mental health and wellbeing of same-sex attracted young people, by suggesting their relationships were unnatural or not as important.

"At school it is particularly important that they can feel they can be themselves and valued for who they. In a situation where you feel that is not valued, everything else becomes more difficult."

She said same-sex families who sent their children to Catholic schools would see this as a "direct attack on their existence as gay Catholics".

Thoughts? If your child goes to a Catholic school, how would you react to our feel about this?
    Given same-sex attracted youths have a much higher rate of depression and risk for suicide than their peers, with the average age of the first suicide attempt being 16b years, I'm of the view this is only going more to shame and marginalize gay youths and either drive then away from their faith or, worse yet, hinder them from being who they are.
    I also find his comment that marriage is about a union founded on sexual complementarily and potential fertility rather than emotion as ridiculous, archaic and insulting to those who cannot have children, choose not to have children or are in same sex relationships

This has really ground my gears this morning 😡

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-06-2015),Busy-Bee  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say I'm shocked but I'm really not. This cr@p really does not surprise me anymore.

This is one of the reasons I would never consider sending my children to a private school. I would hate for them to be taught that their mums are doing something wrong.

I'm also sick of the whole "need a mother and a father". What about single mothers and fathers that have custody of their children. Are they trying to say that children would be better off with their parent staying with their abusive etc other half and raising the kids in that environment. What about if one parent passes away? Should the remaining parent re-marry immediately for the sake of the children?

I don't understand why people (especially the church) can't leave other peoples relationships alone. I'm pretty sure my relationship has nothing to do with anyone else's and I can guarantee other people's have no bearing on mine. Me loving someone doesn't make anyone else's relationship less special etc.

I really think that this will cause a lot of LGBTI youths to feel even worse about themselves. They may be getting cr@p from home about their preferences and now will be getting it at school in a really strong way. As if we need somewhere else to feel discriminated against.

ETA: There are a lot of straight people out there who need fertility assistance. Should they just not have children or split up because it seems as if he is saying people should really only be together to make babies
    Last edited by BeautyOfTheSoul; 04-06-2015 at 11:10.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeautyOfTheSoul For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-06-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (04-06-2015),Moxy  (04-06-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our kids go to a catholic school and their previous school was a catholic school as well. There were several same sex families at the previous school, and many students (high school), including sil. They were always very supportive and positive. The current school is much the same. Actually the principal is my cousin and one of our other cousins is gay.... so I really can't imagine him allowing this nonsense to be sent home.

I went to catholic schools my entire school life and never ever encountered any teachers or principals etc who had an issue with same sex relationships... a couple of teachers we had were in same sex relationships.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (04-06-2015),Moxy  (04-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-06-2015),superbuns  (10-06-2015),SuperGranny  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely revolting. How shocking for a marriage to be based on love and emotion rather than sex and breeding Messing with marriage and kids?? oh come on. The abuse and domestic violence in some of these patriarchal type catholic families makes far more of a mess of children's lives than it being born into a family of two women or men that love one another.

I want to say more but I'm so outraged that they would be sending this material to children I don't know what else to say. Maybe they need to put the money they have wasted on this hate campaign on trying to ferret out all their pedophile priests.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-06-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (04-06-2015),Moxy  (04-06-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (04-06-2015),Qwerty  (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just disgusting.
    I have always believed each to their own when it comes to religion but recently I am coming to the conclusion all religion does is spread hatred.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Our kids go to a catholic school and their previous school was a catholic school as well. There were several same sex families at the previous school, and many students (high school), including sil. They were always very supportive and positive. The current school is much the same. Actually the principal is my cousin and one of our other cousins is gay.... so I really can't imagine him allowing this nonsense to be sent home.

I went to catholic schools my entire school life and never ever encountered any teachers or principals etc who had an issue with same sex relationships... a couple of teachers we had were in same sex relationships.
    I went to Catholic primary and high schools and didn't encounter this either. We were taught evolution in biology and RE classes for me didn't mean much. But no kid ever came out at school in my year, not one and there were a few (they came out as adults). I base my values and beliefs now as an adult on my parents, my DH who really opened my eyes, and a few friends who challenged me, rather than my schooling.

I actually was surprised this was done, and that in itself surprises me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is awful, how hateful. Shouldn't this sort of thing be actionable? If it was about another race or religion it would be considered to be inciting hatred! This is the sort of disgusting behaviour that makes me dislike organised religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I found the catholic schools I attended quite judgmental of anything outside the nuclear family, my divorced and re-partnered mother was treated like she had leprosy. But that was the 80's, I had hoped it had changed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I found the catholic schools I attended quite judgmental of anything outside the nuclear family, my divorced and re-partnered mother was treated like she had leprosy. But that was the 80's, I had hoped it had changed.
    In fairness to my previous comment, my schools were all white, middle class, reasonably privileged, nuclear families anyway. I grew up rather blinkered and naive but thankfully, not narrow minded.

DH and I did however choose a public school for DS1 for next year that doesn't include SRI or anything, they're completely secular. I have real issues with organised religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a Christian High School. It was the 'better' school in our area. In other words, not so many drugs rampant. My parents sent us there because of this. We were not a religious family at all but I'm pretty sure the principal thought he could get us kids - didn't happen haha.

Some of the teachers did not like me because I was not Christian. it was very obvious and very frustrating. My parents didn't get married until I was in Year 8 and obviously I was excited when they told us they got married. I told one of the teachers and was told to never mention it again. I didn't understand why at that point because to me, it was normal that they weren't married and didn't mean a thing to me.

I was not out in high school and I am kind of thankful for that now. My best friend was a gay guy though - the only LGBTI person in the entire school. Most of the teachers disliked him and so did most of the other students. One of the guys even made a false s.exual allegation against him. He was treated so poorly, it was truly disgusting.

We had "middle school" and Bible Studies involved learning all about the bible. Then in years 9 and 10 we did "Religion" and this was basically being told what was in the bible and how all other religions were wrong - I kid you not.