+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Climbing toddler - advice please

So today my 18 month old was a bit quiet which always means trouble, well I found her sitting on the dining room table drinking a water bottle. How can I stop her climbing dangerous things? Should I move away all the dining chairs? I really don't want her to fall and hurt herself especially because she generally wears socks inside. Any advice please ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Either play pen the area around the table or get rid of the chairs. We cordoned huge swathes of the house so that I knew the kids were safe even if I wasn't watching all the time.

Dd1 was climbing bookshelves and chairs from 7-8mths old. Thankfully dd2 was super lazy and has short legs so climbs far less.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to say but perfectly normal toddler behaviour lol. Perhaps re directing her to another interest may work and personally I learnt not to make a big deal out of it as they thrive on an audience ... My 2 used to do it and I'd say we climb outside not on tables lets go do xyz and they would soon forget... I wouldn't remove the chairs if it was me but everyone is different. Good luck and welcome to the toddler years ... It's fun !!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (03-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My youngest is a climber. I actually prefer him being a climber because he knows what he can do and is great at problem solving.

I taught him no climbing onto the kitchen bench, he did climb onto the table a lot and I couldn't do anything about it except teach him how to get down safely. That was the biggest thing for me. I don't mind him climbing as long as he can get down safely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you cant stop her, my ds2 has been obsessed with the table from about 14 months, the first few times I near had a heart attack, funny enough the only time he hurt himself on it was when Id tried to move the chairs around so he couldnt climb it, he lost interest once he realised he could do it and it was fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    P.s don't do as I did and put the chairs on top of the table.. DS2 pulled one down on top of himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks I did that today (put one on top of the table) so I'll put it down. I'll have to show her how to climb down she climbs our bed and then gets herself down fine. We have locked every bottom drawer as she was using it to stand in and climb up grabbing things off the kitchen bench. Aghhhh she's a devil hopefully she gets bored of it soon!