+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I left 7 hours after my son's birth and was very pleased with the decision. I had 2 other children at home that I didn't want to be away from.

I'm not a good sleeper, even in my own home, but anywhere else, I do not sleep at all. And away from my children I can't sleep either. So it was better for me to go home. I've been lucky enough to not have any birth complications or feeding issues, so was comfortable with going home. I do wish I'd done the same with my other 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate hospital. I was going to leave 4 hours after (baby born by 3pm, home by 7pm) but since he was large they recommended that they test his blood sugar levels, which I agreed to, so I didn't leave until about 9am the next morning - 16 hours after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stayed 5 nights with each of my children, and cried when I had to leave! I loved being in hospital!!! Admittedly, I did miss my little girl dreadfully when I had my son, but I knew she was in very safe hands with Grandma and Grandad and was being thoroughly spoilt. She came in to see me every day and was quite happy to go home with them. I knew that once I got home, there'd be no rest and I'd be straight back into cooking, cleaning and washing/ironing, and have two step-children to deal with also, so I wanted to make the most of the rest time. I had a private room with a double bed and a wide screen t.v, and I was very comfy there. St. Vincent's Private was the best!!!
    My advice - make the most of the rest and stay as long as you can!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-06-2015),Soon2be4  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    1st Bub I stayed one night - relatively straight forward labour, small suction and epi. In hindsight should have stayed longer and was offered another but was in shared room and it was noisy etc!

2nd Bub I stayed two nights - even more straight forward water birth wanted to stay 2 nights but also had to as DD2 was born 2.5 hrs after 1st contraction so had no time for antibiotics and I was strep B +, but I had a private room which made all the difference. Very happy staying longer second time I missed DD1 but she came up each day plus bonding time with new bub was really great I think of it fondly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stayed 6 days with ds1 as he had suspected strep infection so was having iv antibiotics. Although I went a bit crazy through lack of sleep being in a ward with 5 other mums and babies I did find the support with bf really useful and doubt I would have bf without it. I wasn't wanting to bf initially but having people around to encourage me and assure me things were going well etc spurred me on to continue as I almost felt I would be letting them down to stop.

This time around i plan to be home asap though as I want to be home to see ds1. Having a c section though so know I will need to stay a couple of nights but I just hate the disrupted sleep of being in a shared ward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. You've given me lots to think about. After reading the responses, I think that I'd like to stay about 12 hours, so unless bubs is born in the very early morning I might stay overnight. Who knows, I may feel completely different on the day, but I feel good now knowing that I have a plan.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

Soon2be4  (03-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm private in a hospital that only has private rooms. I'll get the opportunity if all goes well 4 full nights, 5 days.
    I'll be staying the maximum time.
    It will be the first time away from my daughter and I'll miss her like crazy but also love the idea of meals and help on hand, and the bonding time I'll get with #2. if I go home right away I won't get that.
    In saying that if I was public and had to share I'll be out of there quick smart. The thought of sharing a room terrifies me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just had baby #2. The birth was the most straight fwd it could have been, 3hrs all up, no pain relief at all and minor grazing.

I was physically ready to go home 1hr after giving birth. I was up and walking normally, no pain.

However I did stay for 4 nights but that is because I was going private and they sent me to a 5* hotel for the post natal stay. It was like a mini holiday!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why leave? I stayed for 4 nights. Your bub has just entered the world, you have midwives and Docs to keep an eye on your bub the first few days in hospital, no one at home. You are taking care of there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stayed one night, hated it. I was left alone with DS for all of it with no idea wtf I was doing. Couldn't wait to leave and get back home to DH and my parents who could help 24/7. I Was in double room on my own and terrified that someone else would be brought in and I'd have to share a bathroom with a stranger. I have anxiety issues though.