+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long to stay in hospital

I'm still a few months off birth, but I have started thinking about this a bit. I am doing a midwife program where they encourage you to leave ASAP after birth, but can stay for one night if you choose.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to leave the day of the birth or stay the night.

A bit of background - this is my second baby, my first labour was extremely quick, straight forward and DD had no issues latching etc. I stayed for 24 hours. I loved having people visit and not feeling like I was a hostess and had to make tea. I also loved having meals brought to me and not feeling all alone in the middle of the night. I hated having to share a room with a very loud snorer. I was also near the nurses station.

For this birth I had originally planned to leave the same day (if the birth happens sometime before midday and goes as well as last time). I don't want to be away from DD as I am normally always around. However, I have recently started thinking that it'd be nice to not have to get up to her the next morning and not have to think twice about food. Obviously my husband will help out, but I'm the type of person who really struggles to sit back and let people do stuff for me.

Have any ladies here left hospital soon after the birth? Were you happy with your choice?

I realise a lot of this depends on the birth itself, but being 'prepared' helps me to stay relaxed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love my stays in hospital. Actually my preference is for a few nights. But that was when I had my own room. I cant relax if I'm sharing a room but still like to stay at least overnight. I have had 5 children though, maybe that's got something to do with it. I'm always happy to come home but do like my time in there. (I feel a bit odd as I know most can't wait to get out of there!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovejoypeace For This Useful Post:

Soon2be4  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like to stay. With my girls I was there 6&5 days. This time I will aim for the full 5 days again.

After all only housework awaits me at home.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Soon2be4  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I not long ago had my second baby. I had him just before 10am and we were home by 5 pm. Was a very fast, straightforward birth and i really wanted to be home for DD as she doesnt sleep well without me. If you plan for it, you can pre cook some meals to freeze and buy some easy snack so that you dont have to worry about food. Plus, the food is better and the bed is more comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had planned to go home ASAP, but we ended up having to stay for blood tests for baby. I couldn't wait to get home! Wish I had been able to leave.
    Its noisy, I couldn't sleep, no privacy, my husband makes better food and I missed my big kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I left 4-5 hours after my daughter was born (we left about 2am) and was very glad of it. Back in our own bed, had my partner there to help (as he couldn't stay at the hospital) and a midwife visiting at 11am anyway.

This time will be a bit different as my dad/parents will be at home with DD. I think my preference is still to be at home asap. There isn't much benefit for me in being in hospital if all goes well... I'd rather have my family bring me food than wait on hospital meals and busy midwives/nurses. I'd rather be in my own bed where I'm more comfortable. Sounds like you might benefit from saying though.

That said, if a short stay means leaving at night this time, then I think I'll be sending DP home and staying until morning. Too much effort getting home and settling in when we have a toddler and my parents at home too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a hospital person, I like to be surrounded by medical professionals
    I stayed 5 nights when I had my son but it was a really nice private hospital and I had a long labour which ended in a csection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was in 5 days my bub was in special care nursery and had big issues with feeding because of it before we went home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was in for 3.5 days. I had placenta issues. I probably should have stayed longer so dd might have bf..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd2 i stayes overnight (she was born on the thurs arv and they couldn't arrange for a dr to discharge us earlier). I hated it. After dd1 I hate being in hospital. I would have been home same day if I had my choice.

Dd3 I was home within 6 hours of her birth. Would have been sooner but as she was born in the early hours of the morning, the midwife let me stay a bit longer and sleep while she slept between feeds. She was born with mocconium in the waters and went into major distress (was also a very fast labour/birth so she was shocked as well). I had to keep an eye on her and take her temp etc for the first 24 hours but my midwife told me to call if I needed anything or was worried so I didn't feel like I was on my own.

Dd4 I was home 4 hours after her birth. Again would have been sooner but the midwife encouraged us to have time just dh, dd4 and I before we returned to the chaos of a house with 3 other kids.

I would happily leave immediately after the birth, given the choice. I hate being in hospital and feel much more relaxed in my own home and my own bed. As for visitors... we just made it very clear there were to be no visitors until we said so, and anyone who did show up would be told to leave immediately. Not everyone was happy about it but stuff them, this was about the baby and i and our not so little family bonding and settling in. Once we did allow visitors, I told them that if they want something they can help themselves, I won't be waiting on them. But thats usually how it is in my place anyway- if I know you well enough to let you in my home, i know you well enough that you can get whatever you want on your own without me having to play host lol.