+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Leather vs. Cloth trim (car)

I'm deciding between getting leather seats or cloth seats when I upgrade car soon (Ford Territory). There's at least $5k difference between them (2011-12 models are in my price range). Help me decide!! I've had a car with leather seats before and it was easy to clean. We have a strict no food in the car policy but the boys do play footy so mud could be a factor. Plus we are buying acreage soon so again we will be dealing with mud.
    I think I may have just answered my own question....LOL!
    But feedback would be welcome. Does anyone live rurally and have cloth seats and find it's still ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a territory, new model and much prefer the look and feel of the fabric seats.

Didn't expect it but yes the leather isn't so nice. Have you seen/tried it IRL?

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hands down leather seats. Much easier to clean and keep cleaned. Just make sure you condition them so they don't crack etc.

I had cloth rurally and would always have seat covers as you would get a lot of dust in the car etc and at least I could take the covers out of the car and wash them.

Also as a suggestion, you can buy RMW mud mats too. Like floor mats but are designed for mud etc. They were brilliant, looked good and saved my carpets too I found them so helpful when I lived rurally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Leather. Never looked backed since we have had leather!! Soo much easier to keep clean, especially with spewy babies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leather - sooo much easier to clean and less likely to stain (especially if you get a dark colour). The only downside is if you have a dog in the car their claws can scratch it.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    We live rurally and have cloth. Our back seats have always had a fitted sheet underneath the baby and car seats tucked into the actual seat or the car and underneath is still in brand new condition.

I hate how leather is freezing cold in winter but I hate even more how it burns in summer. I didn't want to pay extra for leather and then have it hurt the kids.

By using the fitted sheet as a protector (it's folded in half lengthways and then tucked down the back of the seat and pulled down over the front where the elastic keeps it nice and tight) we have never had an issue, and the back seat is now in better condition than our front seats

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    we have a dog - which scratches leather - so cloth.

I actually prefer cloth anyway so its been great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Always had leather but my dh is pedantic and gets seat covers anyway for protection. Can't beat the look and comfort of leather and easier to clean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    we have a dog - which scratches leather - so cloth.

I actually prefer cloth anyway so its been great
    I'm getting a dog next weekend...so maybe I'm better off with cloth after all. I could put seat covers on the front seats at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    leather hands down.