+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time mums - When did you stop full time work/cut back hours?

Hi ladies
    A question for all the first time mums - when did you stop working full time and/or did you cut back hours during your pregnancy? Question could also go to mums with more than one bub however I your circumstance may have been a bit different as you had another little one running around to look after.

Thank you so much! I'm 25 weeks working full time and starting to get quite tired. I'm considering cutting back my hours and as much as I know I shouldn't care what others do and just do what my body needs it would be good to get some feedback from others. I always planned to work as long as possible - both for financial reasons and to keep busy and I'm now wondering if I'll be able to work longer if I cut back to shorter hours now.

Thank you so much for your feedback! xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just be careful when you cut back your hours. At my workplace your mat leave is calculated on your hours worked in last 3-4 wks. So if you drop from 38hrs to 30hrs your mat leave is paid at only 30hrs for the 6wks. Also as you were PT prior to going on mat leave you are not eligible to return as FT but the same hours as you left.

This obviously is company and industry dependent. Personally I'm keeping to my 31hrs/week till 39wks when I start my mat leave.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (02-06-2015),Monkey Joy  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm 32 weeks and had planned to work full time to 35 weeks and was having a c-sect at 39 weeks. All was fine til a few weeks ago, started getting tired around 28-29 weeks then diagnosed with preeclampsia at 31 weeks. I'm still working full time but now finishing at 34 weeks and c-sect has been brought forward to 38 weeks assuming the preeclampsia is under control. I'm looking forward to finishing up. I just want to rest. Listen to your body and do what feels right and best for you and who cares what anyone thinks. Just make sure you know the impact of finishing early/reducing hours on your leave entitlements first!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Monkey Joy  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I worked full time til 36 weeks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Monkey Joy  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Just be careful when you cut back your hours. At my workplace your mat leave is calculated on your hours worked in last 3-4 wks. So if you drop from 38hrs to 30hrs your mat leave is paid at only 30hrs for the 6wks. Also as you were PT prior to going on mat leave you are not eligible to return as FT but the same hours as you left.

This obviously is company and industry dependent. Personally I'm keeping to my 31hrs/week till 39wks when I start my mat leave.
    Oooh, good points! Thank you.
    My work is very supportive - small business so the full time role would be there for me when I went back. Although we hope to have another Bub soon after so I'm not sure I'd go back between. And they don't have a maternity payment on offer so that would be ok. I just wouldn't want it to effect the government 18weeks PPL?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also worked full time until 36 weeks. I was on my feet for about half the day.

Do what's best for you and bubs though. As others have said, I think it'll affect your entitlements, so if possible it's probably best to stick it out. It goes without saying, though, that the health of you and your baby is the mos important thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

Monkey Joy  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I'm 32 weeks and had planned to work full time to 35 weeks and was having a c-sect at 39 weeks. All was fine til a few weeks ago, started getting tired around 28-29 weeks then diagnosed with preeclampsia at 31 weeks. I'm still working full time but now finishing at 34 weeks and c-sect has been brought forward to 38 weeks assuming the preeclampsia is under control. I'm looking forward to finishing up. I just want to rest. Listen to your body and do what feels right and best for you and who cares what anyone thinks. Just make sure you know the impact of finishing early/reducing hours on your leave entitlements first!
    I bet you can't wait to finish! Thank you for your reply and best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I worked full time until 39.5 weeks & had bub a couple of days later. I was young enough to have plenty of energy though!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Monkey Joy  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Reducing your hours won't have any impact on the government PPL. Listen to your body and do what's right for you. Could you do one day a week from home? Is that possible in your type of work?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Monkey Joy  (02-06-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I worked full time until 37w.
    I originally intended to go another week but I knew it was time for me to stop.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Monkey Joy  (02-06-2015)