+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default PGD testing on 1 or 2 embryos?

Hi

Hoping for some advice on pgd testing. So basically it looks like ill have one maybe 2 if im lucky embryos make it to 5 day blast. Do you think its worth bothering to do the extra testing on one egg? It takes 3 weeks to test and then they have to wait for your next cycle to transfer thats even if its normal so id be looking at august before I found out if it had taken. In the other hand I could put it back and if it wasnt normal it wont even implant so would know in 2 weeks or if it did and I miscarried id be looking at roughly august anyway. If I had 5 eggs to play with I think it would be a different story but im 41 this year and im never going to get 5 eggs and time isnt exactly on my side.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @snickers74 I haven't done PGD, but just wondering if it's a possibility you begin embryo banking until you got 5 or 6 to send for testing at once??

If you aren't able to freeze them at Day 5 so you can go do another Stim Cycle, then I'd probably just transfer them both and leave it in the lap of the Fertility Gods personally.

I know some of the Girls I'm on some of the threads on here with have done PGD and will hopefully jump in when they can and give you some of their opinions/advice

you get your BFP asap Luv Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls for your response. Unfortunately genea dont do embryo banking. I think if theres 2 we'll go ahead with the testing but if theres only 1 ill just transfer. I have always put back 2 eggs but im very cautious now of having twins and how much hard work that would be. I dont think id cope so its best to only go with one. Fingers crossed I even get one or these decisions are taken out of my hands anyway. Good luck with your testing corbes let me know how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snickers74 View Post
    Hi

Hoping for some advice on pgd testing. So basically it looks like ill have one maybe 2 if im lucky embryos make it to 5 day blast. Do you think its worth bothering to do the extra testing on one egg? It takes 3 weeks to test and then they have to wait for your next cycle to transfer thats even if its normal so id be looking at august before I found out if it had taken. In the other hand I could put it back and if it wasnt normal it wont even implant so would know in 2 weeks or if it did and I miscarried id be looking at roughly august anyway. If I had 5 eggs to play with I think it would be a different story but im 41 this year and im never going to get 5 eggs and time isnt exactly on my side.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I was in your exact situation. We had 1 emby make it to day 5 in my fresh cycle. We decided to transfer it fresh for a couple of reasons. The first was, like you say, by the time I would have waited for results/had a down cycle, then went again, the time frame was the same as an early miscarriage. The second was that I was hard to stim because of my low reserve, we only had 4 eggs collected so I was not convinced I'd do well at another stim cycle or get any embies so wanted to give ours the best chance I could. The pGD testing is terrific but I was not sure I wanted it on my only embie as if was grade B and the embryologist said they need a few hours to recover after getting cells removed. This just freaked me a bit. I didn't want it touched.

I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant with that embie and don't have any regrets now BUT it was a long and harrowing wait for the harmony results, for the 12 week scan and during that time I regretted my decision and wished we had done the testing. I swore to myself if I ever did it again, I would do testing.

I'm really sorry if this post isn't that helpful. I just wanted to share my experience.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bella25 For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI
    im new to the website and trying to find similar stories to relate to. We have just gone through PGS testing and we had 2 come back normal from about 5 tested. So waiting for transfer next month and really hoping it works. Good luck to you Corbes

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lausey81 For This Useful Post:

Corbes  (19-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gosh this question really worries me.

I just had my first ever pregnancy from our first round of IVF. We ended up with only one emby and none to freeze and had never considered the additional testing as warranted. Despite a good heart beat at 7.5 weeks and miscarriage risk dropping to about 5% we had a missed miscarried detected at 9 weeks 2 days (just last week) with bub having passed at 8.5 weeks. Now we are facing starting all over again I am keen to avoid the absolute trauma of finding our baby hasnt made it, as well as the lengthy delay that puts in the process of trying to have our first child. Im 35 so also terrified of my increasing risks.

We were wondering about doing PGD to avoid another miscarriage if possible - also because the cost of testing would even out with the cost of scans and appointments with one not tested that ends up miscarrying. But my fears are around the fact we have 6 fertilised eggs, 5 doing great at 3 days, and then only one at 5 days and that emby was "behind schedule" and noone was very hopeful about it.

What are the risks of a PGD emby surviving the testing process? I assume it also means they have to freeze it? Wouldnt this doubly increase risks of it not surviving?

How on earth do you make this deicision when our embryos are so precious yet the risks are high?!
    Last edited by furbabymum; 21-06-2015 at 15:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default PGD testing on 1 or 2 embryos?

@furbabymum
    Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss.

I also got pregnant first IVF round and had an early loss at five weeks and had the same question as you - although I did get 3 to freeze.

At that time I wondered if we would just have more losses but I'm actually breastfeeding our first FET bubba now so we didn't have to answer the question.

My suggestion is to get the advice of your FS and follow it for at least one more round. The indicators for doing PGD aren't based on miscarriage but more to do with your age and your partners age along with some other risk factors and your FS may just suggest you try again.

PGD can result in no embryos and it can discount some healthy embryos so it isn't a golden ticket unfortunately.

Also, the first IVF round is usually considered a bit of a trial to see how you respond to stimulation so you may get more eggs in a second round.

My advice - see what your doc says.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ScubaGal thanks so much for your reply! I guess we are just in the really difficult part where we have not seen a doctor since we were told we had no heart beat so I havent been given ANY information, and have just had questions bubbling up. We get to see the OB (not FS) tomorrow so hopefully that will help, and then so long as surgery isnt cancelled again D&C Tuesday and then will book in to see FS to plan the next cycle. Thank you for helping me feel a little less in the dark during this scary time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by furbabymum View Post
    @ScubaGal thanks so much for your reply! I guess we are just in the really difficult part where we have not seen a doctor since we were told we had no heart beat so I havent been given ANY information, and have just had questions bubbling up. We get to see the OB (not FS) tomorrow so hopefully that will help, and then so long as surgery isnt cancelled again D&C Tuesday and then will book in to see FS to plan the next cycle. Thank you for helping me feel a little less in the dark during this scary time!
    Hang in there, it is a really difficult thing to go through the loss of a much wanted pregnancy.

Start making a list of questions and perhaps write out some scenarios to ask your doc about.

After I lost my first one I made a plan with my doc that if I lost the next one of my three remaining embryos then I would go straight to stimulation rather than transfer number four or five so that I could build the batch up. As it happens we didn't need to but it made me feel better having a plan.

Perhaps you can ask your FS what they'd do differently to get you more embryos next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @furbabymum I am so sorry for your loss. Seeing a good heart beat and everything on track at 7 weeks and then nothing at next scan is bewildering and extremely upsetting.

I have had missed miscarriages and have done pgd testing.

My first ivf cycle I had 2 bfn's, a missed miscarriage (picked up at 10 weeks after good heartbeat at 7 week scan) and a blighted ovum. We decided to do pgd testing on our next cycle as I am 39 and don't have a lot of cycles left in me. We were a bit hesitant about doing it, especially as the blighted ovum had the correct number of chromosomes, therefore it would have passed pgd testing and still would have been a miscarriage. The way we looked at it was that whilst we wished it guaranteed a baby, we were really only reducing our risk of miscarriage.

We did a cycle in February and as my husband has sperm issues, we asked to do ha-Icsi. It is an additonal cost as well but at least we knew we were taking any bad sperm out of the equation. My fs also changed my protocol slightly. We had 4 make it to biopsy and 2 came back normal. I haven't transferred them yet as I had a naturally conceived pregnancy in April which ended in a miscarriage. This one had an extra chromosome. We will transfer one of the pgd embryos in a few months. Whilst we are hoping it results in a baby, I also have to be realistic that it may not implant or even be another blighted ovum.

My advice to you would be not to rush in to pgd just yet. Speak to your fs. He or she may have a different protocol to try. They may have ideas as to how to get your great looking day 3 embryos to great looking 5 day embryos. Also clinics approach pgd differently. Mine only do testing on day 5 embryos. Some clinics tend to use different technology and test on day 3 and can transfer on day 5.

I wish you all the best and feel free to pm me if you have any questions about d&c's or just want to vent.