+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default AMH test

Hi All,

I read about AMH testing in today's SMH. I was wondering whether anyone has had the test done? If so, was it your GP? And what was your experience?

I have since done some reading and found some skepticism about the reliability of the test, but I still remain curious. I am not TTC at the moment but would be interested in knowing within what timeframe I should really be aiming.

Any thoughts? If anyone wanted to google it, it is the anti-mullerian hormone test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had it done when I was 35, after conceiving first month trying (but then miscarrying). My results were pretty dismal- 5.6 (which indicates low ovarian reserve). Despite that, I conceived naturally again 3 or 4 cycles after the miscarriage (leading to my DS) and again recently first month trying at 37.

Based on that, I have my doubts about the usefulness of AMH testing. It's supposedly a fixed number that you can't change. But my naturopath said that in her experience, the results can be affected by a few things (including Vit D deficiency) and that it's really most of use as an indicator of how you're likely to respond to drug dosages if you do IVF. For natural conception, she believes it's not so useful (and in my case completely unnecessarily freaked me out).

Yep, I got my GP to refer me for the test. I had to pay for it (probably about $50?)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it done as part of IVF screening. It came back as <1 so I freaked out. Ended up having a great IVF cycle with a BFP (DD 11 months) & 3 frosties. I was 32 at the time.
    So I am skeptical about this test also!
    As pp mentioned my naturopath also said it can be influenced by adrenal issues & vitamin D so go figure.
    I think it can give you a useful idea about ovarian reserve, but don't use the results in isolation - keep the big picture in mind.
    It was about $70 with no rebate from Medicare. Your GP should be able to order it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think most people who've done IVF have had it. It's pretty common. I think it's beneficial to have it, especially if the number is low. You could consider your options before it's too late. But it's important to remember that it's quality over quantity! I had a very high AMH (54.3), I responded well to Ivf drugs but I had no good eggs due to my age.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Again I don't put too much faith in the test. At 29 I had it done prior to IVF and it was quite low at 7.1 which I was totally gutted about. I was then put on quite a high dose of stimulating drugs for my IVF cycle and ended up with severe ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome as a result. As others have said it doesn't give any info about quality, all my 12 eggs fertilised and I also recently got pregnant naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine done as a result of one anovulatory cycle that was later put down to stess given my blood results and the fact that I am regular. I have since been ovulating every month so it must have been a fluke.
    Well the test came back at 72 despite having border line vitamin d. FS was not suprised however as my ultrasound showed high antral follicle count. Diagnoses: PCO (but not PCOS).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say don't bother with it! I had it done when I was 36 and was devastated when the results came back at 1.4. I was told I had premature ovarian failure and if I ever wanted kids it was now or never. The stress, anxiety and heartache I went through was horrible , I was single at the time so felt pressured to go through IVF as I thought I'd never have another chance, even though I wasn't comfortable at the thought of going it alone. Anyway long story short, I didn't respond at all to IVF drugs or hormone replacement so after all the stress I decided to just give it up and focus on other things in life that brought me happiness. Not long after that I met a lovely guy, fell in love and fell pregnant naturally without trying! It was such a shock. Am due in 4 weeks so it just goes to show that the test isn't really any indication of what can happen. I wish now I had never had the test as those 18 months of my life were terrible. I would say to leave it as it can cause a whole lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Furmumma For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had it as my sisters was low and she had no eggs left. She was 35. I was 31 and came in at 11 which was lower than it should have been at that age. Our other sister was 33 and smack bang in the middle of us, our results were exactly linear with our age. I may have been inclined to ignore the test, but my sister had no eggs and there was en exclave chance that could be me.

I was single and opted to go it alone and it was the best thing I ever did. I responded well to ivf drugs, I'm odd in that I have PCOS and low AMH. I now have two gorgeous DDs and I'm thankful I got tested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, it appears everyone's responses really match the research - works for some, not others and that the results can make you anxious. I might keep the idea in mind, I don't think that a bad result would worry me now, but I am also not thinking of TTC for another 18 months or so.

Again, thanks for the feedback

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PrettyFabulous For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got mine down years ago and I can't remember the actual figure but it didn't fall in "optimal", rather "satisfactory" (range for level vs age).
    5 years later after one episode of DTD, I fell pregnant with DD.
    Not sure if I'm just lucky...