+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you have a front fence/gate?

Random question...

Over the last 2 nights my kids have been door knocking for the Red Shield Appeal (I supervised). We went in a nice area, with a lot of nice modern houses. Some of the houses had some pretty decent front fences with gates, ie not your old fashioned low metal/brick ones. But I was unsure of the etiquette here... do we go in to knock on the door? Or is a closed gate a way of saying "keep out"? I'm not sure if the gates were locked or just closed either, because it was dark and some of the gates were quite modern, and I didn't even know how to open them and I didn't want to go fiddling around with someone's gate! So I guess some of them might have actually been locked anyway.

So WDYT?

Edit- FWIW we gave those houses a miss. But just want to find out for next time!
    Last edited by CMF; 31-05-2015 at 20:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We don't have a front gate/fence but our steep driveway seems to put door knockers off. My parents do have a big gate/high fence at their place. If the gate is shut they are usually not home. They do have a doorbell at the gate though, and they do answer if people ring it. For them it's more about security and privacy than trying to put off door knockers.

I personally wouldn't try to open someone's front gate to door knock( unless it was just one of those low ones that you could just about step over anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    We have a security fence at the front of our street. We also have a 4feet high fence in the front of our house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do, but it doesn't easily close at this point. We're intending to re-do the fence with an all-around wall and a high gate. It'll likely have an easily-opened gate, but a lock on the inside which we'd use when out the front with the dog etc.

One of our reasons is to keep people out :P I hate having people knock at our door unless they're a guest who we know is coming, or someone who really needs to be there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've door knocked before for the red shield appeal and the group I was with had the policy of if you could open the gate and they didn't have dogs in that part of the yard then we were to go in.
    I now live in a rural area, where we have a front gate and I'm happy for people to let themselves in, but in saying that the gate is usually open if we are home. Off topic I know, but I find even with the gate open the Aus post parcel delivery person never comes to the front door and will just leave a missed delivery slip in our mailbox when we are home

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 18 foot high solid fences all round our premises with a buzzer on the front gate so obviously it means "keep out". We like our privacy and knowing the boys and dogs are secure but if a property had a small fence with an easy access gate I would think it ok to go in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think legally you must be able to access the frontdoor. That being said, if you couldn't easily open the gate or their were dogs on the premises I wouldn't try to enter.

I have previously been a census collector. We had to access every house and would generally ignore the 'do not enter, no hawkers etc' signs. However there were a few were I left cards and called my supervisor as it was very clear they were not going to be welcoming to a government visitor (and I didn't get paid enough to find out how serious they were).

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you have a front fence/gate?

we have a front gate when it's shut it means keep out, when the gates left open people are welcome so that's how I would judge weather or not I would go in

Thanks
    Reviews
    For what it's worth the couple of years I door knocked it was in a suburb where almost all properties were large with high fences and could look quite formidable. In saying that if people didn't want unexpected visitors their gates would be locked or they had dogs out the front or there were signs out requesting no soliciting. I think the red shield appeal is such a good cause and very few people turn you away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We get this a lot in my partners business. We have been expected at a certain time for a quote and when we turned up there was 2 big dogs in the front yard with huge gates. No buzzer to get in. We just turned around and went home. It's quite annoying when they know we are coming and there is no way in.
    The other week we had to go to a house behind to let them know we were removing the back fence (they had a small dog) and we just jumped the side half fence to get to their door. I think anyone with huge gates should have a buzzer of some kind...