+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Posterior, on the bed, on your back, all increase the chances for SD! You need to keep track of baby's positioning. Try and keep it in optimal position by doing regular exercises, good posture etc. Have you ever looked at spinning babies website? When labouring keep upright and moving preferably. Squatting is great for opening up the pelvis so the preferred pushing position. Definitely do some research 😀

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackDiamond For This Useful Post:

mumofbabes  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did refer to spinning babies when I found out bub 2 was posterior and used the exercises and positions to try and help turn her but I think it was too late by then. I worked so hard trying to get her to shift but she wasn't going anywhere.

I just had a quick read of the basic daily exercises recommended on that site and I will start them tonight I hope. Even if this is going to be a c-section then it is still a good thing to get my posture and general body condition better. I might be playing with fire but I still have this romantic notion in my head that if I can prepare my body optimally, and baby isn't big, and is positioned optimally, then maybe I would go into labour naturally a bit earlier and have a text book delivery within a few hours and avoid the c-section. Ha! I'm a dreamer.

One of the reasons squatting wasn't a great option last time is I had very painful pelvic girdle pain. Which the stirrup position isn't great for either, but by then I didn't have much choice as other things weren't working. Funnily enough though... sitting forward on the toilet seem to either make contractions barely noticeable or go away. The pain went from massive to very little. I still don't know why, but I think it was slowing the labour process. I would assume it's a good position to get baby to decend and put pressure on, but maybe not as it felt like there wasn't enough pain for anything to be working 'properly'. It was a nice break for a few minutes though. It is still a bit of a blur because of the pain and the gas and the unpredictability of posterior contractions and such. I'm a sook.

It surprises me that there is so much good to come from the sort of advice on spinning babies and other things I've read. Natural ways to make things work the best way and help avoid risks. And yet I've never heard this from any midwife, or Dr, during my three pregnancies. And I've been through a lot of Drs (for no bad reason though).

Thanks BlackDiamond. And everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really have any advice regarding the shoulder dystocia but like you my last baby was posterior and I also found that sitting didn't help the labour at all. When I went to hosp I had some pethidine and slept for a couple of hours and things progressed nicely. Then I sat on a birthing ball for about 2 hours and no more dilation. Still had the painful contractions but baby wasn't moving down much. I then had an epidural and the midwife told me that for posterior babies sometimes lying down on your side helps so I kept changing sides for a few hours while on pitocin and my cervix continued to dilate. Sadly baby didn't change positions and for other reasons we ended up in a c section but my point was that sometimes the positions that may work for a normal baby don't always help for posterior ones. Ps I also looked at the spinning babies website but my baby only turned posterior 3 days prior to labour. Very annoying!! Good luck. Although it probably won't help as I know you want a vaginal, I personally found the c section fine. Aside from the scariness of the emergency the procedure and recovery was very easy for me. X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

mumofbabes  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually now that you mention it, I did spend a good amount of time on my side/s. It seemed to be helpful in getting things to happen. But not quite enough. Pushing wasn't doing enough. As it was from this position that the Dr decided on the stirrup thing (mainly because he was preparing to use the vacuum). Still so thankful to this day that it didn't have to come to that (again).

Thanks for sharing. And it's good to hear you had an easy recovery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So.... I spent the last few months accepting a c section. It is all booked in for 9 days time. I went to Canberra Hospital for a scan at 34 weeks and they said baby was huge and a couple of measurements were off the charts and estimated weight at 3.1kg. So I had to go back this week at 37 weeks for another. I did. They estimated 4.3kg. :/ I have gestational diabetes this time, but have kept my blood sugar in check with diet and exercise.

When I was having the scan the Dr came in to see me and find out size (as I didn't have an appointment with her, only a scan to check size). I mentioned I wasn't scared of birthing a large baby, I was only choosing C section because of the fear of shoulder dystocia. She said it's still my choice, and I can try a vaginal delivery if I decide that. The C section isn't booked in there, but in my home town. My home town Dr already said that if it isn't a C section than she doesn't want to deliver. She wants me to go to Canberra. But I also know Canberra would say I need inducing right now if I want a vaginal delivery...

Until that appointment yesterday I was ok with the C section plan but today I'm all emotional again wishing I could go naturally! Partly because the ultrasound tech told me the position of baby and yesterday it was the perfect position and baby's head was well and truely down low (she had a harder time getting a measurement of it because of this). So I'm sitting here fantasising about going into labour naturally (which has never happened for me). The problem is, even if I do and turn up at my home town hospital they will do a c section then. If I say I've changed my mind I guess they would transfer me to Canberra via ambulance... but that's a problem coz who knows how fast or slow I will labour. :/

I'm sorry, I don't really have a question. I'm just ranting and venting and trying to come to terms with it all again. The preggo hormones are making me emotional.

I've considered booking a dr appointment for tomorrow if possible just to talk to my dr. But I already how the conversation will go (I think) so what's the point. :/ I won't see her again otherwise until she comes to take the baby out on the 9th.

I wonder sometimes what is wrong with me that I find this so important, and then I see other mothers who just want a C section electively (to mention the other extreme). I am NOT judging them. Totally their choice, all good. But why am I so stubborn and unaccepting of it? :/
    Blah! Hormotions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi mumofbabes; ive had my 3rd bub now he was 4.7kg at 38+2wks. We went csec and im so glad I did. Id never have got him out safely and even though I was initially fighting the csec route im 100% happy and if another bub happens im definitely 100% habing csec again. It was much harder recovering from the episiotomy etc. And I have no grief over an injured child ao a much less complicated and emotional time than with my 2nd child

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a c-section is hard to accept because to most women they feel that's not how it's suppose to be. You are meant to go into labour spontaneously and deliver vaginally complication free. I've had 2 and still cannot accept it. I'm ashamed to admit it when I'm asked. But what's more important is that I have 2 happy healthy children. In the end it is your decision so you need to weigh up the pros and con's for both scenarios. What do you feel will be better for you and your baby?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackDiamond For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (30-09-2015)