+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD? Toy injures your child

On Thursday I treated 4yo DS to a new toy - a big Lightning McQueen car that he chose from Target. It talks & makes noises and is suitable for ages 3+.

He was playing with it close to bedtime last night when he suddenly started screaming & crying - his thumb got pinched/jammed near one of the wheels. He normally takes pain really well, but he was inconsolable for a good 10 mins after before he asked to go to bed. It must have hurt him a lot.

Today his thumb is swollen and a tad bruised, but it appears there was no serious damage done.

I have stashed the toy for now as I don't want him to hurt himself again.

The toy was $59 and I still have the packaging & receipt.

Would you:

A) return it to Target explaining what happened & see what they can do?

B) list it on buy/swap/sell to try and recoup some $ by selling it to someone else?

C) let your child have the toy back and hope they don't hurt themselves again?

D) other?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Your poor ds!

I would think about contacting the company actually.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Did it seem like a freak accident sort of thing where the stars aligned to make it happen? Like 'bad luck' rather than 'bad design'?

If so, I think I would just teach DS not to put his thumb in that spot if he wants to keep playing with it.

If you think it is an obvious flaw where many kids may get hurt then I would return it and contact the company. I'd also tell Target about it.

Is it wrong that I still really want to get one for DS?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2015),MissMuppet  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would depend on my child. Like harvs said, if I felt like it was a freak accident and he still loved it, I'd just tell him not to put his finger there in future, and perhaps even 'block it up' with something If I thought he was going to keep doing it. I would probably make the manufacturer aware however that for ages 3+ that risk exists.
    If i felt like he now has zero interest in the toy after his experience, I'd return it to target. I'm sure they'll refund it.
    Sorry this happened to your DS - the poor thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Option A as long as my child let me!!

My DD has hurt herself in pinch points on Lalaloopsy dolls. I know she would lose it if I took them away so I'm hoping she learns quick where to hold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would let him keep it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    C

You wouldn't believe some of the accidents we have had with toys at home, and at work!
    Kids hurting themselves with foam bricks, lego, etc.

It happens.

Hope your DS is ok.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (31-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd just shrug it off and continue to let the toy be used after reminding said child/ren not to put their fingers where they can get hurt. It doesn't sound like it's a dangerous design, just an accident that happened

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well, DS has asked for the toy a few times, but I'm keeping it stashed until I decide what to do.

I'm not sure it would happen again - I think it was partly his carelessness (we suspect he may have leant on it not realising this thumb was in a precarious spot). I do think it could happen to another child though.

DH really wants me to take it back, but I don't know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To be honest I think its a bit of an over reaction, no body likes seeing their child hurt but if I took every toy my ds 'hurt' himself on we'd have an empty toy room. Someone can hurt themselves on anything! its up to us as parents to teach our children how to use/play with things safely, ans sometimes they have to learn the hard way. It doesn't sound like he wasn't badly hurt if he's anything like my son he cried more because he was tired (you said he was going to bed) the slightest thing around bed time and ds looses his mind lol

Use it as a learning curve and let him have his new toy back, its always harder and more upsetting for us rather than them, hugs hun

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by KillerHeels; 31-05-2015 at 14:25.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (31-05-2015),Happymum2  (31-05-2015)