+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Sore and Numb/pins & needles in hands & arms

Anyone else had this problem with sore and numb hands around the third trimester?

Likely culprit is excess fluid causing pregnancy carpal tunnel according to the midwives, and the hope is that when all the fluid goes the pain will too and I'll get movement back in my hands.

Baby was born via c-section on 23/5 so 8 days ago.

Anyone else experienced this with their hands?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I did - carpal tunnel in my left hand. It stuck around for several weeks after the birth. It was sort of a gradual improvement rather than instantly gone.

Hope it clears for you soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sore and Numb/pins & needles in hands & arms

Yep, I had something called mummy's thumb in the 3rd trimester. Similar to carpal tunnel. I just wore a specially fitted wrist guard and tried to rest it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat74 View Post
    Yes, I did - carpal tunnel in my left hand. It stuck around for several weeks after the birth. It was sort of a gradual improvement rather than instantly gone.

Hope it clears for you soon!
    Ok thanks that at least gives me a ballpark. It's been agony

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Its called Dr quervains tendonitis if its running from your thumb up your inner fore arm. I had it from about 12w until my baby was about 16w. It seems to get worse before it gets better as you're doing much more lifting with a little one. Mine fully resolved when I weaned at 8 weeks and my hormones dropped. It was one of the reasons I stopped breastfeeding so early as it was absolute agony and very stressful. You can get a cortisone shot to help...or I did dry needling (like acupuncture) through my osteo and that really helped. I really feel for you, it is debilitating. A physio will tell you to stop using your hands and brace them for two weeks, I almost wacked the one I saw, at the time my baby was 5w...what mother can do nothing for 2 weeks?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, I ended up with De Quervain's in my right hand...not long after the carpal tunnel subsided in my left. The De Quervain's has been way more troublesome for me than the carpal tunnel was. I had to have a cortisone injection when bub was 12 weeks, which sorted in for about two months, but then it came back with gusto and I've only recently finished physio and still wear a wrist brace at night.

Just a note on the cortisone injection, they are painful and you're not supposed to do anything with your hand for a week - so really helpful if you have a new baby. You're also only supposed to have one injection a year as more than that can potentially damage the tendon. So, if like me, it comes back you are left with the long slow painful route to recovering full movement.

I don't have numbness with De Quervain's, only pain. But I did have a lot of numbness with carpal tunnel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Are you still BF @Cat74

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @emski72, no I'm not breastfeeding any more. But I do attribute the weird positioning of my right hand to support bub's head during breastfeeding and subsequent bottle feeding for why my hand is such a mess. The physio said it is a repetitive strain injury. It is getting better but it's taken ages - he's 9 months this week.