+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have almost 3 years between 1 and 2 and liked it. His communication was good and he could play nicely while I got bub to sleep etc. Still hard in many ways, but I would have preferred at least a 3 year gap between 2 and 3 had I not unexpectedly fallen pregnant and will now end up with a 2 yr gap. Not overly happy about it, feeling very worried, as number 2 is very clingy to me. But it is what it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have 6 years between DS1 and DS2. They adore each other. I got to enjoy DS1 when he was little and I worked part time. Now I am enjoying DS2 and enjoying DS1's activities at school. For us it has been the best thing to happen to us, although we started trying when DS1 was 2 and we lost a baby along the way as well. I think we have the best of both worlds although having a baby being older now, is much more difficult than first time round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an hour between 1 and 2 (twins). Will be 2 yrs 10 months between 2 and 3. Pretty certain I will have no life for the next 5 years!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 2.5 year gap with all 3. Atm I have a 4mth old, a 2.5, and a nearly 5yo. The last 4 months have been hectic. Dd had weight gain issues, ds2 toilet trained and ds1 started kinder the day after dd was born. But now I am in a routine (ish) its not that bad. I dont think I could have had a smaller gap, but also a bigger gap would have been nice I think!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh on the close gap- events!

The gap between my brother and me meant that we had big events at the same time- e.g. his communion was the same year as my confirmation, he did his junior cert (year 9 equiv exams) when I did my leaving cert (year 12), i started uni when he started a trade, i had uni events while he had high school events.
    The up to 2 year gap (14-30 months give or take) will mean a lot of coinciding events.
    Luckily my parents could afford it all, but time-wise it sucked for them.

We have a similar gap between DSD and DSS (22 months) and they have had events at similar times since they started school. E.g. DSS will make his communion next year, and DSD her confirmation. DSD will start high school when DSS has a Naplan year...
    The biggest problem at the moment is their activities- separate activities at the same time, on the same day! Gah!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Oh on the close gap- events!

The gap between my brother and me meant that we had big events at the same time- e.g. his communion was the same year as my confirmation, he did his junior cert (year 9 equiv exams) when I did my leaving cert (year 12), i started uni when he started a trade, i had uni events while he had high school events.
    The up to 2 year gap (14-30 months give or take) will mean a lot of coinciding events.
    Luckily my parents could afford it all, but time-wise it sucked for them.

We have a similar gap between DSD and DSS (22 months) and they have had events at similar times since they started school. E.g. DSS will make his communion next year, and DSD her confirmation. DSD will start high school when DSS has a Naplan year...
    The biggest problem at the moment is their activities- separate activities at the same time, on the same day! Gah!
    This is pretty much unavoidable if you're going to have more than one child, though. There will always be SOMETHING no matter what age gap you have.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (12-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    This is pretty much unavoidable if you're going to have more than one child, though. There will always be SOMETHING no matter what age gap you have.
    Depends on the age gap. There was nothing linked up between myself and my other siblings- only between me and #2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I had 20 months between ds and dd1 and 26months between dd1 and dd2.
    20month gap was hard but loved it. They are very close and play amazingly well together so having a 2month old now is easy. Dd2 is such a great baby. Sleeps through since 2w (yes I feel I m cheating somehow) abd breastfeeds beautifully so it is really easy for me. I d love one more to complete our family. Would aim for a maximum 2year gap and would be happy if its sooner than that so not preventing atm..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Age old question gaps between

I had 4 children in 5 years. 2 years between 1&2, 10.5months between 2&3 and a little over 2 years with 3&4. I've never had bigger gaps so can't speak for that but I absolutely loved my close gaps between all the girls. Yep life is busy but I wouldn't have it any other way! We've decided on a 5th which will be a 4 year gap between 4&5, I'm actually worried about it. Having such close age gaps then spreading it out by 4 years is going to be a big change.

I guess a con would be always on the go but I love being kept busy, they grow together, enjoy the same things and get along great. I feel like I'm having all the children I want in a short time frame so then we can focus on growing up, enjoying each other and lots of travel.
    Last edited by BabyG4; 12-06-2015 at 21:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is 2 years & 3 days between 1 & 2. 2 weeks shy of 2 years between 2 & 3.

We love the 2yr gap! Our kids are great and ds & dd1 are very close and they adore dd2. They are both old enough to help out (dd1 loves fetching a nappy, both help bathe her by washing her tummy etc)

I found going from 1-2 children pretty easy even with dd being a screamer who never slept. So I was worried going from 2-3 would be hard, but it really hasnt been! We are very lucky though that dd2 is such an easy baby.

It is a bit of a juggling act, less time for each child, more washing, more noise, not enough hands at times.. I do tend to wear dd2 if we are out somewhere so I have free hands. But if you're organised and have a good support network then its not that different adding an extra one! We havent upgraded anything. We have 3 seats in a Commodore (this was a juggling act but perfectly fine - I did have to buy 2 new seats rather than 1 to fit them) and we live in a 3bed villa. Ds & dd1 share (their choice) and dd2 has her own room (works well since I am up feeding in the night). Obviously the larger the gap the more independent your other children will be, but I like the 2 year difference. Ds is toilet trained. Dd1 isnt yet but is interested. Both can feed themselves, we have a snack box in the pantry they can access themselves and i will prep fruit the night before or in a morning so its easy to grab. They can get their own water as needed etc... little things that mean I can sit and feed dd2 without stressing too much. Both dress/undress themsleves aswell.

I dont think it matters if you have one child or ten children, close together or further apart, there will be good and bad days. Just know your coping strategies. If we have a rare bad day I will either pop the girls in the pram (ds walks) and go for a long walk with a stop at the park, or put them all in the car and drive along the beach or through the hills.

For me the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I absolutely love being a mum and there is so much love in our house.

I was worried I wouldn't ever feel finished, but I am so content now. Dd2 was the last piece of our puzzle and she fits perfectly with the 2 year gap!
    Last edited by blissfulfairy; 13-06-2015 at 04:38.