+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default upset tummy in breastfed newborn

There is probably already a post regarding this topic but I'm doing this before DS2 wakes up so I will post a new topic.

DS2 is 12 days old and exclusively breastfed. He has the most excruciating abdominal pain usually at night but it has come and gone all hours of the day. He is rarely settled and cries/ screams constantly. I have been on a lactose free diet since day 4 and it hasn't made any difference to his pains. I was reluctant to agree it was gas pain as he seems to pass gas/ burp easily. I went to the doctor and she wouldn't listen to a word I said as he was settled when we visited. Her advice was that he is just getting used to the breast milk!. I have heard that breast feeding is much better for their tummys but DS2 seems in worse pain then DS1 and he was only on formula!. Any advice would be much appreciated! DH goes back to night shift soon and I'm freaking out at the thought of not having help at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Things that helped my dd-

Burping burping burping

Infants friend or brauers colic relief

Sitting upright in a rocker or swing

Probiotics for bubs - helps mature their gut

Good luck it's really tough those first few weeks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Happyma  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs and hang in there, those early BF days are hard. Could it be lactose buildup (too much foremilk), is he emptying one breast each feed to get the hindmilk? How are his poos?

Haven't had a windy baby but have heard good things about infant's friend from mum's group.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are your babies wet & dirty nappies? I.e. more than ten wet nappies a day?
    & How are you BFing? 10 min on each side or emptying one breast? etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He feeds for about 20 minutes each breast. Empties one completely and starts on another / in between falling asleep. feeds are 2 hours apart. Definitely more then 10 wet nappies a day and poos after almost every feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoralicious View Post
    Hugs and hang in there, those early BF days are hard. Could it be lactose buildup (too much foremilk), is he emptying one breast each feed to get the hindmilk? How are his poos?

Haven't had a windy baby but have heard good things about infant's friend from mum's group.
    This sounds like your problem. You've got heaps of milk coming out and tots causing bubs tummy ache. Try block feeding where you only feed from the one breast for 3hrs, even if they want multiple feeds. See if it settles down. Should take 12-24hrs if that's the issue.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    This sounds like your problem. You've got heaps of milk coming out and tots causing bubs tummy ache. Try block feeding where you only feed from the one breast for 3hrs, even if they want multiple feeds. See if it settles down. Should take 12-24hrs if that's the issue.
    Once you have tried this, if it doesn't make a difference, it could be silent reflux. It often appears like gas or wind, but it's not.

Continue with the no dairy for a while still though, 4 days isn't enough for the cows milk protein to have left both your systems.

What colour are his poos?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (31-05-2015)