+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My son went to Allergy Medical Group when he was 7 months old in Brisbane and we waited for a month to get in. Needed a referral - both GP and pediatrician recommended. They did little pin prick tests for allergies. They were great and also spoke in depth about food intolerances and had great info and books available. I think we were a couple of hundred out of pocket from memory.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessie02 For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (30-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    That sounds interesting green tea thankyou. The dairy one would be really beneficial to me. I will ask my GP about it
    I found I could re-introduce some lactose & fructose foods further down the track- (after avoiding them for a few months) but when I was pregnant I became extremely sensitive again to even small amounts.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to green tea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We see our allergist privately in Melbourne. The wait for the Childrens hospital is insane for allergies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing, not sure if my daughter has gluten or lactose issues

8. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green tea View Post
    I found I could re-introduce some lactose & fructose foods further down the track- (after avoiding them for a few months) but when I was pregnant I became extremely sensitive again to even small amounts.
    This may explain why at the moment (2nd trimester) within a couple of hours after eating dairy my nose completely swells up (as in can barely breathe through it) and I have an asthma attack. Its getting beyond a joke. I have been trying to limit it as much as possible but even a couple of squares of chocolate seems to have the same effect! Was interested in testing gluten for other problems while I was at it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    This may explain why at the moment (2nd trimester) within a couple of hours after eating dairy my nose completely swells up (as in can barely breathe through it) and I have an asthma attack. Its getting beyond a joke. I have been trying to limit it as much as possible but even a couple of squares of chocolate seems to have the same effect! Was interested in testing gluten for other problems while I was at it.
    SpicyTurtle - you poor thing. You could also possibly be sensitive to sulfites and salicylates too? I know that I am now that I'm aware of the symptoms.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessie02 For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If u think u have a gluten intolerance ask the gp to blood test for coeliacs disease.

if you have this it can cause secondary lactose (dairy) and fructose intolerance.

its a common disease and grossly under diagnosed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duck07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS just had blood test for egg etc nuts most common foods.

He's also having a fructose, sucrose, lactose breath test. That takes ages though! About 5 visits and we are seeing allergist the wait is until August (booked this week). They said $470 and about half back from Medicare nothing back from phi :/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you get tested for food intolerances/allergies?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie02 View Post
    SpicyTurtle - you poor thing. You could also possibly be sensitive to sulfites and salicylates too? I know that I am now that I'm aware of the symptoms.
    Oh wow Jessie I just looked up sulfites and salicylates and they could be a strong contender for what's causing my allergies!
    Basically I have a stuffy runny nose 24/7, it literally never goes away just ranges from mild to severe and has been like this for as long as I can remember, but is getting worse over the last year or 2 and severe over the last few months (most likely due to pregnancy I assume). I also have periods (say 1-2 days a week) where I sneeze all day, have itchy watery eyes, break out in hives, and have so little energy I can barely get off the couch. Plus my asthma which I've had since a baby doesn't respond to preventers, is starting to become less responsive to my rescue inhaler, and I am wheezy pretty much all the time from varying degrees.

I feel so overwhelmed as to where to start re: an elimination diet as it seems like I would need to literally cut out everything but vegetables, and being pregnant I am so hungry all the time and have strong cravings for certain foods.

Thankyou for suggesting the sulfites and salicylates though I will have to do some more research into them
    Sorry for the rant lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duck07 View Post
    If u think u have a gluten intolerance ask the gp to blood test for coeliacs disease.

if you have this it can cause secondary lactose (dairy) and fructose intolerance.

its a common disease and grossly under diagnosed.
    Thanks for the suggestion Duck, I have been tested for Coeliacs and it was negative, but I was wondering if I could be gluten intolerant as from what I've read this is quite common.