+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both of mine also transitioned to 1 nap at 12 months, despite the fact that they had both been very different nappers/sleepers for the first year.

DD transitioned quite smoothly, I just started pushing her morning nap later when she started to fight her afternoon nap and soon she went from 2x 20-30 min naps a day to 1x 1.5-3hr nap (bliss!!).

DS took longer to fully transition. He had always needed more day sleep than DD and wasn't sleeping through yet, so some days he would still crash out on the way home from the school run or need a little afternoon nap.

At about 12 months they both stopped wanting to be rocked to sleep as well. I could just put them in their cot, dummy in, cuddly toy and shut the door. This didn't happen until they were ready though. I had tried everything previously to get them to self settle but I couldn't 'make' it happen.

If bub is about 10.5-11 months, I would hang in there for another month of just going with the flow - I know, another month feels like an eternity right now! Keep an eye on bub and when they seem to be staying happy longer in the morning or fighting the afternoon sleep as then they should be ready to fall into having 1 nap. If bub is about 11.5m, then I'd start pushing that morning nap later now. 1 long nap is soooo good when you have a school aged child!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I so wish I had a magic cure for you! I'm sure you've gone through all these but just a few things to consider:
    How many naps are you aiming for? I think 1-2 is normal for that age.
    How does she sleep at night and is she overtired from going to bed too late or being woken in the morning?
    If night sleep is also an issue maybe there's something else going on and worth a visit to the nurse/GP/paed?
    Is she eating enough?
    How consistent are you when you try a strategy? Does your partner stick to the plan when he's home?
    Nights she goes down well 7pm bath, stories, feed then into bed drowsy but awake but she wakes 3 hrs later and comes into our bed. She used to get to 1-3am so I expected this to stretch like did for other 2. She used take dummy but now throws them and wants me to be it. I'm trying to break this but she keeps rooting and when I enforce break she wakes up. This is happening as I type she's asleep with boob in mouth but not feeding I unlatch she roots. It's bad habit I know but I'm feeling lost about how to stop. She's unlatched and sleeping now but in our bed so can't get up. Dp is disinterested in the nap /sleep issues his only suggestions are let her cry or wean her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dropping to 1 nap? She's 12 months next week, but I haven't pushed it as first day I tried she fell asleep quickly in car and had 4/5 days of napping on schedule 2 a day but only in car or on me. Fact she does sleep makes me doubt she's ready? She only had one yesterday which was 1hr15mins. Is that long enough all day? And now she's asleep before 9.30 only up at 6.30. Yes it's with me after a feed but doesn't this mean she needs the 2 naps? Argh too confusing. Well I'm stuck here might catch up on zzzz rather than driving myself bonkers overthinking

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Dropping to 1 nap? She's 12 months next week, but I haven't pushed it as first day I tried she fell asleep quickly in car and had 4/5 days of napping on schedule 2 a day but only in car or on me. Fact she does sleep makes me doubt she's ready? She only had one yesterday which was 1hr15mins. Is that long enough all day? And now she's asleep before 9.30 only up at 6.30. Yes it's with me after a feed but doesn't this mean she needs the 2 naps? Argh too confusing. Well I'm stuck here might catch up on zzzz rather than driving myself bonkers overthinking
    It's entirely your choice. If you are happy with 2x shorter sleeps on you then it's all good

I think tho with your morning and afternoon commitments you might be better off with one substantial nap 2-3hrs in the middle of the day. That way you may get your jobs done plus have some down time to yourself.

But as I said whatever suits you and your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    It's entirely your choice. If you are happy with 2x shorter sleeps on you then it's all good

I think tho with your morning and afternoon commitments you might be better off with one substantial nap 2-3hrs in the middle of the day. That way you may get your jobs done plus have some down time to yourself.

But as I said whatever suits you and your family.
    Funny I never thought of it being my choice I was going by what I thought she needed but maybe if I gave it a real go for 1 she'd get that decent sleep. I'd love to join a playgroup too they are all in the morning!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Funny I never thought of it being my choice I was going by what I thought she needed but maybe if I gave it a real go for 1 she'd get that decent sleep. I'd love to join a playgroup too they are all in the morning!
    As in its your choice to go with 2x naps or 1x nap.

For me, sometimes the routine a toddler wants doesn't quite work with the rest of the family. That's when I try and tweak it so all parties are somewhat happy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (30-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine we're both at one nap by 1yo. My DS in particular - made it pretty clear around 10-11 months that he was done having two. Took him a few days to get the point across to me, lol.

I got the message eventually! (Illness/teething/travel may have jiggled it a bit occasionally)

He'd usually go down not long after 11, be up by 2-2.30ish. For info's sake, he'd go to bed for the night around 8-8.30 and get up around 7-7.30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default How can you have a consistent routine to encourage naps if your baby won't na...

You've got a better chance of getting bub to nap independently if you're at home at the *appropriate* nap time.
    - If you're in the car and bub falls asleep you're screwed.
    - if you put bub down 3 hours after waking you're screwed - my guess is a 1 year old baby needs far more awake time - closer to 4.

Use a comforter use it only at nap time and use it for every nap.

I wouldn't use the fact that bub will nap on you/in the car twice per day as reasoning for not being ready for 1 day nap. The aided to sleep methods (car/pram/patting) will often induce sleep when bub is tired enough to 'nap' but not tired enough to have a real good long sleep.

Go with your gut though
    Last edited by VicPark; 30-05-2015 at 16:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would go for the 1 day nap as when you've got school pick up and drop off, it's hard when they're on 2 naps unless you do the first nap in the pram and walk to school. Once you get home, she can stay asleep in the pram.

even when they are ready to transition to 1 nap, they get tired anyway so I would try it this week. At least you can plan your day around the nap, do a quick tidy up while she's asleep and sit down for 30 mins peace.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You've got a better chance of getting bub to nap independently if you're at home at the *appropriate* nap time.
    - If you're in the car and bub falls asleep you're screwed.
    - if you put bub down 3 hours after waking you're screwed - my guess is a 1 year old baby needs far more awake time - closer to 4.

Use a comforter use it only at nap time and use it for every nap.

I wouldn't use the fact that bub will nap on you/in the car twice per day as reasoning for not being ready for 1 day nap. The aided to sleep methods (car/pram/patting) will often induce sleep when bub is tired enough to 'nap' but not tired enough to have a real good long sleep.

Go with your gut though
    If you change "independently" in the first sentence to "sleep in the cot" I agree wholeheartedly.