+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey OP. The way I managed my days may not suit you or match your parenting style but I thought I'd share my method with you.

Firstly work out when you need your baby to nap... 11am/11.30am/12pm in order to get them to wake for afternoon pick up. Then work backwards as to what time you need them to wake up in the morning. So 6am for an 11am nap, 7am for a midday nap etc. only you know your baby and their requirements. As mine always woke between 5.30-5.45am (sometimes 5am) it was very easy to get them to sleep at midday. Even now if my 5yo wakes before 5.45am she is ready to nap at 12.30pm. But if she wakes at 7am she won't nap.

So for example you need your baby to nap 11am-2pm so you need to wake her up at 6am. So for 10 days straight try to follow a fairly strict pattern to your days (even on weekends). Wake her at 6am, and as she is still a baby she might get really tired at 10 ish... Try and stretch her out for 10-15min. Make sure she is full with a good milk feed and maybe solids then start your wind down bedtime routine. For naps I used to and still put my kids in PJs, sleepy music on and feed/pat them to sleep. Or however you put your kid to sleep. The point is not how you get them to sleep but rather that they sleep at that time and set their body clock to that.

Body clock is quite interesting in that it only takes 2-4 for the body to get used to a new pattern. Think about how ppl struggle to wake in Mondays after a weekend of sleep-ins.

So after a few days of Bub sleeping at that time, you can then slowly add a particular nap routine as their body is expecting to sleep at that time.

Now this method may or may not suit your family or your parenting style. But it did work for both my girls and I will probably use it next year as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (29-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default How can you have a consistent routine to encourage naps if your baby won't na...

Agree with Rose - timing of the nap is the key. And if you have school runs then consistent routine may be needed as well.

How many naps is bub on and what times? (Wake in morning, nap times, plus bedtime).

Moving bub after they are asleep is a recipe for a short nap. If possible always put bub to sleep where you intend for theme to wake.

If bub falls asleep outside of the desired nap time it can screw things up. Many a car ride home from the shops either hubby or myself are tickling bub/singing songs to keep him awake. Generally if an older bub falls asleep for any more than 5 minutes it re-sets the body clock - no point trying to get them to sleep for another couple of hours.

Today I was driving home from the shops around 12 and bub fell asleep. (Bedtime is 1pmish). Fortunately it was only for 2 minutes. When we got home I woke bub up, fed him lunch, played a bit and then put him down at 1:30 instead. He slept for 3 hours fortunately.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with VP.

Sigh. This can't be good @VicPark, us agreeing with each other.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (30-05-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (30-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (29-05-2015),VicPark  (29-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my eldest was down to random sleeps by one, stopped all day sleeping at 14/15 months.
    Pure hell.

my youngest by 1 was in a decent napping routine, some kids will stop napping earlier unfortunately

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (30-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Agree with VP.

Sigh. This can't be good @VicPark, us agreeing with each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Couldve written your post word for word. Well minus 2 other children. DD is 7 months and pretty much refuses naps during the day. No power naps, nothing. 8am to 9pm. Every. Bloody. Day.
    Once a week i may get lucky and she will nap for 2-3 hours. Rare though.

Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Hey OP. The way I managed my days may not suit you or match your parenting style but I thought I'd share my method with you.

Firstly work out when you need your baby to nap... 11am/11.30am/12pm in order to get them to wake for afternoon pick up. Then work backwards as to what time you need them to wake up in the morning. So 6am for an 11am nap, 7am for a midday nap etc. only you know your baby and their requirements. As mine always woke between 5.30-5.45am (sometimes 5am) it was very easy to get them to sleep at midday. Even now if my 5yo wakes before 5.45am she is ready to nap at 12.30pm. But if she wakes at 7am she won't nap.

So for example you need your baby to nap 11am-2pm so you need to wake her up at 6am. So for 10 days straight try to follow a fairly strict pattern to your days (even on weekends). Wake her at 6am, and as she is still a baby she might get really tired at 10 ish... Try and stretch her out for 10-15min. Make sure she is full with a good milk feed and maybe solids then start your wind down bedtime routine. For naps I used to and still put my kids in PJs, sleepy music on and feed/pat them to sleep. Or however you put your kid to sleep. The point is not how you get them to sleep but rather that they sleep at that time and set their body clock to that.

Body clock is quite interesting in that it only takes 2-4 for the body to get used to a new pattern. Think about how ppl struggle to wake in Mondays after a weekend of sleep-ins.

So after a few days of Bub sleeping at that time, you can then slowly add a particular nap routine as their body is expecting to sleep at that time.

Now this method may or may not suit your family or your parenting style. But it did work for both my girls and I will probably use it next year as well.
    Ok here's the thing. I thought I was following a set routine. She is up at 6-6.30 so should nap 9.30/10 and again 1.30/2. Or at least I know she is usually tired after 3/4 hours awake that's been my guide. And when she slept in the car an hour at these times I thought Yep. But but how do you MAKE her go to sleep independently AND stick to set times? Recently I tried follow bed time routine and put into cot at right time with just rubbing back etc. she howled in anger and got so worked up I didn't get her off to sleep until 1pm!!! That's when I wondered if she was ready for 1 nap went out early the next day and she slept in the car for an hour!
    So I guess what I don't know is how long do you persist with trying to get the nap at the set time? If fails do they skip that nap and try again at next nap time? I'm sorta leaning to let her nap wherever for another few months and once I think she's ready for 1 nap then I can try and enforce cot naps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    Freyamum, I think your DD and my 9 month old DS would get along like a house on fire! With kinder drop offs I'm lucky if he naps for 2 x 20/30 mins in a day. That's a good day.

He fights naps when we're home, maybe because he's just not used to being out down for traditional naps?! Who knows. But it's hard. I don't get a break and he always seems to be in a cycle of ending up over tired. It's amasing how little sleep they can last on, isn't it? I have friends whose babies will nap for hours and honestly, I'm so so jealous of them.

Sorry, no advice! But you're not alone
    I'm glad I'm not alone it does feel like everyone else's baby sleeps well like a baby! I'm sure most I know do not go through elaborate rigid routines either some babies do sleep better than others. I need to remember that or I end up feeling bad about myself as well as envious about others. My bub is the cutest craziest thing which is how I survive 😉

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

yadot  (30-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    At 12 months all of mine were on 1 nap. Maybe she is ready for the transition?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Ok here's the thing. I thought I was following a set routine. She is up at 6-6.30 so should nap 9.30/10 and again 1.30/2. Or at least I know she is usually tired after 3/4 hours awake that's been my guide. And when she slept in the car an hour at these times I thought Yep. But but how do you MAKE her go to sleep independently AND stick to set times? Recently I tried follow bed time routine and put into cot at right time with just rubbing back etc. she howled in anger and got so worked up I didn't get her off to sleep until 1pm!!! That's when I wondered if she was ready for 1 nap went out early the next day and she slept in the car for an hour!
    So I guess what I don't know is how long do you persist with trying to get the nap at the set time? If fails do they skip that nap and try again at next nap time? I'm sorta leaning to let her nap wherever for another few months and once I think she's ready for 1 nap then I can try and enforce cot naps?
    I would go straight to the one nap at 10.30/11am ish. Like VP said, keep bub awake till that time then try to put to sleep. I feed/cuddle/pat to sleep so sleeping independently isn't important to me. I generally persist for 45min, then leave for 30min, then repeat. I'd give up after 2hrs, pop baby in carrier and do my housework.

By this age I'd suggest the one nap too like BRV.

Can you feed to sleep lying down on a bed then leave when she is asleep?

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 30-05-2015 at 08:41.