+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How can you have a consistent routine to encourage naps if your baby won't nap?!?!

Ugh I'm so over this napping issue now. I'm sure i'm recovering from mild pnd but this is my trigger to feeling overwhelmed. I've read so so so much about napping and routines. With 2 in school I can't just watch for sleepy signs as there are school runs to think of but I know when she is tired, I know she needs to sleep but she won't. Like this morning after a week or so of letting her nap on me to get her used to sleeping at that time not in the car this morning I tried to move her gently into the cot and she woke up and no amount of feeding, rocking, shushing would make her sleep. Now I'm like Wtf do I do. Spend another hour trying to get to her to sleep in her cot? Even is she sleeps its the wrong time so what's the point? Take her for a walk and maybe after 40 mins I'll get 30mins break? But that's totally against the routine, how will she ever learn to sleep in her cot?
    Ugh just feeling really really over it and yep there it goes first cry in 2 weeks thought I was doing well but I can't even pack away groceries, house is like a bomb site with breakfast dishes still piled up, she's playing with the groceries while I write this hoping that getting some of this pent up frustration out will help....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

Happyma  (29-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old is she?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default How can you have a consistent routine to encourage naps if your baby won't na...

Sorry I'm not much help, I have the same issues. My only hope is if I have the time to feed DS to sleep in his room where it's dark and let him feed then suck until I know he's in a deep deep sleep. Either that or I might be lucky and he might sleep whole I drive somewhere.

Just offering hugs and letting you know you aren't alone.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 29-05-2015 at 11:54.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (29-05-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi freyamum, I understand totally where you are at. by the time I had my last, I had one in grade one and twins at home, then very soon I had one in grade 2 and twins at preschool. my last baby, thankfully was a pretty easy going little one, and he would sleep wherever and whenever it happened. I would try not to stress about a routine,, if you can keep baby happy, and baby is not screaming the house down because of lack of sleep, then I would just go with the flow. I found it would often happen little one would have a few short naps in a row, and then he would catch up by about day three. I felt bad to be always having to wake him up, but there was no other choice. hugs, marie.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (29-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. She's 1 next week. I've been trying to go with the flow but this week that led to all her sleeps either being in the car or sleeping on me. I carried a book and had my phone with me so it was ok but the ensuing mess of no time has caught up on me. So I thought seeing as we'd followed a nap routine with stories, music, feeding this time I could ease her into her cot and race around to catch up. But in reality I think she saw it coming. It's like all the advice is to make things predictable so they know what's coming next and this gives them security and the routine helps them to sleep, but I think once she sees the pattern and knows sleep is next she rails against it!
    eg:
    used to sleep in buggy outside. started to fight this, eventually would scream when put in.
    started dropping off in the car. yesterday she screamed when I tried to take her for a drive at nap time. didn't end in sleep.
    today when i tried read her story and put her into her sleeping bag etc - giving her all the gentle sleep cues she was wriggling. I thought maybe too tired, but now I wonder if she just gets the sleep cues but really doesn't want to sleep?!? Can an 11 month old do that?
    Anyways, thanks for the replies, I'm more relaxed now after a walk better race around now while she is actually asleep in her buggy!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I don't really have any advice, my first is only 10wks. But I just wanted to say I think you're a great mum. I can tell by reading your post how much you care about getting her a good rest.

Hope you get lots done in your mad rush 😀😀😀

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happyma For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (29-05-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hugs.
    Unfortunately some babies don't read any of the manuals.
    My DD was the same, she had no interest in napping - other than 2 x 15 minute power naps where she had to be held. She also refused to be left alone (or 'abandoned' as she saw it) in baby gyms, swings, bouncinettes. Her place was in Mummy's arms or nuffink.

How did I cope? Well, my only other child was not in school yet when she was a baby but in the morning I would make sure we went for a brief walk around the block to just get some fresh air and exercise. That way, if the day went to cr@p then at least we had made it outside the house and got some exercise which is very good for physical and mental health, highly recommended. DD didn't 'do' tired signs. I didn't attempt to follow a routine but there were things that had a pattern. For example bedtime was bath, story, boob and sleep (in our bed).

I used the b00b to comfort her. DS was a lot more placid but he was mostly bottle-fed and there were plenty of times where I gave him a bottle to calm him (often to sleep).

Not sure if that's much help for you but I do hope that at least you don't feel quite so alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Freyamum, I think your DD and my 9 month old DS would get along like a house on fire! With kinder drop offs I'm lucky if he naps for 2 x 20/30 mins in a day. That's a good day.

He fights naps when we're home, maybe because he's just not used to being out down for traditional naps?! Who knows. But it's hard. I don't get a break and he always seems to be in a cycle of ending up over tired. It's amasing how little sleep they can last on, isn't it? I have friends whose babies will nap for hours and honestly, I'm so so jealous of them.

Sorry, no advice! But you're not alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    I so wish I had a magic cure for you! I'm sure you've gone through all these but just a few things to consider:
    How many naps are you aiming for? I think 1-2 is normal for that age.
    How does she sleep at night and is she overtired from going to bed too late or being woken in the morning?
    If night sleep is also an issue maybe there's something else going on and worth a visit to the nurse/GP/paed?
    Is she eating enough?
    How consistent are you when you try a strategy? Does your partner stick to the plan when he's home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found it a lot easier for school & preschool drops once DS moved to having only 1 day sleep which he did about 13/14mths and still does now.

With one day sleep he naps from 1130/12 till 2/230.

When he was still having 2 day naps i felt like i was forever waking him up from his arvo nap

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (30-05-2015)