+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am on my phone so can't start a new thread.... but with winter upon us, I'd love to start a thread for 'low cost seasonal dinner ideas' to make up my next weekly meal plan/shopping list! Ideas welcome i could also post/email the plan and wht the weekly meals cost etc to anyone who might want to try it.

@DT75, my DH and DD2 are lactose intolerant. Milk is over $2/ltr and cheese costs us over $5 for 250gm. We were all eating lac free, but it cost too much so Dd1 and I (who dont have issues) now eat/drink lac bc we couldnt afford it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    The rising cost of cheap meat got us too. We used to eat roo and a lot of cheaper cuts and, while looking at different options for the dog, I noticed how much roo has gone up. I was shocked!! It used to be about $5/kg.

Talking about putting sausages in a sauce... Mum used to make this awesome sausage and bacon casserole. I loved it so much that I now make it with the vegetarian sausages and bacon as a treat dish. No matter who I've served it up to they've all loved it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    I am on my phone so can't start a new thread.... but with winter upon us, I'd love to start a thread for 'low cost seasonal dinner ideas' to make up my next weekly meal plan/shopping list! Ideas welcome i could also post/email the plan and wht the weekly meals cost etc to anyone who might want to try it.

@DT75, my DH and DD2 are lactose intolerant. Milk is over $2/ltr and cheese costs us over $5 for 250gm. We were all eating lac free, but it cost too much so Dd1 and I (who dont have issues) now eat/drink lac bc we couldnt afford it!
    Yeah H is gluten and lactose intolerant (doesn't stop him from eating all the cheese!), and DSS is lactose intolerant (I also suspect gluten intolerance).
    It's ridiculous.

We drink the Coles lactose free milk now, which is $1.70 per litre.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Groceries have definitely gone up lately. For 2 adults we were getting by on $60-80 a week. We have DS now (only 8 months so not costing us that much) but I'm finding that we are spending more like $150 a week.

I do a big shop once a month - so all nappies/wipes, pantry foods, laundry stuff and meat. I get meat from the butcher as it is a little cheaper, however the green grocers in the area are not much cheaper than the big 2 supermarkets and it's more convenient to shop there so I do. Fruit and veg I get as needed about twice a week to reduce waste.

I use a lot of canned fish - tuna, pink salmon and sardines. Sardines are great on toast for quick lunches (healthy and cheap), canned tuna for lunch as well. I also make fish cakes out of the salmon, and tuna mornay. Anything like this I find is super cheap and I load up the tuna mornay with veg to bulk it out. Fish cakes can be served with basic veg or salad. Often frozen veg is much cheaper than fresh - coles homebrand has veg which is Australian if you are worried about that.

All other meals are always bulked out with veg to make it go further. I always make enough so meals will go for 2 nights. Chilli con carne (without the carne!) is also cheap - fill up with canned beans (kidney, butter etc) instead of meat. Veg soups with bread/toast is also really cheap and if it has some legumes/potato/pasta in it it will also fill you up enough.

Cleaning - I use vinegar and bicarb. Kitchen cleaning spray is vinegar, water, a drop of tea tree or eucalyptus oil or some lemon juice to freshen it up. It also works well in the bathroom and for floor cleaners (Pour vinegar into hot water with some TT or eucalyptus oil for the floors).A bit of standard bleach is used for toilets, shower etc or when floors need disinfecting. I've found that cutting out cleaning agents has saved us a lot (and it's better for the environment too).

I shop online as I find that I save a lot more and can keep an eye on the tally as I go. If it's too much, I'll go back and see if I can replace an item with something cheaper or change my meal plan to something cheaper that week to reduce it. I don't find that the prices are more online, but even if they are I think I save more buy not impulse buying anyway and knowing exactly what my spend is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Dairy alternatives are so expensive. We buy oat or macadamia milk for DH and it's just a bit too much. I try to get him to cut back a bit, especially on the macadamia milk!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love tuna, etc... but neither H nor the kids will eat it...

The kids will eat spring tuna from a can but not anything cooked with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Dairy alternatives are so expensive. We buy oat or macadamia milk for DH and it's just a bit too much. I try to get him to cut back a bit, especially on the macadamia milk!!
    This. H would have 12 cups of coffee a day if I am not around...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    This. H would have 12 cups of coffee a day if I am not around...
    Sounds familiar lol. DH knows that if he goes through his stash too quick I will only buy him oat milk. Even then there is a limit so he'll just switch drinks for the remainder of the fortnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 x macadamia trees (spoilt) but have only got enough nuts for snacks so far! I have heaps of fruit trees that we eat from too (passionfruit, pawpaw, mango, mandarin, lime, dragonfruit) I have a fresh veg patch (needs some work and a replant now its winter) but even with using our garden we still struggle a bit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    I have 2 x macadamia trees (spoilt) but have only got enough nuts for snacks so far! I have heaps of fruit trees that we eat from too (passionfruit, pawpaw, mango, mandarin, lime, dragonfruit) I have a fresh veg patch (needs some work and a replant now its winter) but even with using our garden we still struggle a bit!
    DH had an awesome veggie garden happening but then he got too unwell to look after it and I just don't have the time. We still have the chilli plant and a massive lemon grass going but nothing else. The chilli went nuts this year and I've got a sandwich bag full and another one with a handful in it in the freezer. We use between 2 and 6 a fortnight too. I would love to have fruit trees and a nice big patch but it's difficult when renting.